Help Integrating New Kitten With Existing Cat!

Meraxi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Existing cat is 6 years old, previously lived with her sister until the sister came out the wrong side of a battle with a snake (we live in a rural area and they are inside / outside cats)
New kitten is 4 months old, rescue from the shelter.

So as prep, I put the kitten in a specific room with the door closed. Existing cat knew something was up and sniffed under the door and hissed. After a couple days I replaced the door on the room with a slat door, with the bottom slats removed and replaced with fine wire in anticipation of letting them see each other eventually. I messed up here and the existing cat saw the kitten during the last stages of installation. I covered the wire with a towel so they cannot see each other.

Anyway, existing cat is *terrified* of the kitten, or more accurately probably terrified that there is a mother cat around somewhere. Existing cat is spending less and less time inside, only coming in for mealtimes now. I am afraid she will run off. So, as of tonight, I have moved her to be a purely indoor cat - hoping that she can adjust to using a litter box again, if I can stand the constant meowing to get out.

It's been a total of 4 days, and every time the existing cat so much as hears the kitten when she is near the door she will hiss / moan even though she can't see it. I have been doing the "rub sock with new kitten scent and leave for cat to find" as well as patting one, going and patting the other, going back again etc. After 4 days I would have expected a bit of modulation in that behavior or am I being too hasty?

I was hoping to keep her inside, even though it is stressful for her, in the hope that she will adjust to the idea of the kitten in the house, and adjust quicker than being inside / outside. Ideas? Tips? Am I doing the right thing?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Condolences on the loss of your older cat's sister. :alright: RIP sweet girl. :angel:

I, personally, haven't done introductions between cats, but 4 days isn't very long in a cat's world. I think you just need to give them more time.

Others members will likely reply with comments and suggestions. Meanwhile, here are some TCS articles that may be helpful:

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meraxi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Existing cat has settled appreciably tonight and is not complaining about being locked inside, I think mainly because my eldest daughter is sleeping out on the day bed. She is the cat's favorite and has been sleeping in her bedroom with the kitten. Cat seems much happier now she can be with her favorite human, so I'm hoping she will settle down.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer: Welcome to TCS! Condolences on losing your other kitty to snake - I lost a dog the same way and it was terrible.
Your older cat is probably grieving as well as dealing with emotions over the newcomer. You have some great links in the post above. I suggest that you try grooming your cat with a soft-bristled tooth brush and/or a cheap plastic comb (like an Ace or even those you get as 12 for 99cents). Use quick gentle strokes at first, to simulate a mother cat's grooming. Hold your thumb along the teeth of a comb to control tooth depth. While keeping tooth depth very shallow, groom behind the ears and over the eyelids and forehead. Try to do this as often as possible. Also groom the kitten with the SAME comb to integrate scents. And remember to think positive thoughts - mother cats have more than one litter, each litter usually has more than one kitten, kitties in the wild live in clowders - so in the end, this new addition is a GOOD thing! It is like an arranged marriage so the parties cab be expected to be leery. Please keep us updated on how things are progressing - I am sure that many people will be benefiting from following your thread.:petcat::kitty: