Help.. Injured Kitten

Mills89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.. I've got a 9 week old kitten called Lui, my 2yr old daughter lost her footing and fell on him, he squeaked and ran away, I went to him and picked him up, he was meowing a lot, I put him on sofa and noticed he was limping on his hind left leg.. I rang vet who said to monitor him over a couple of hours as it could be a sprain, bruising injury... After 2 hours he was walking almost normal, jumping up at my legs and eating ok, using litter tray etc so vet said leave him a few days and see how he gets on.
Now 6 hrs later he's slept more than usual but is still playful and loving.. Gives a little meow when picked up so unsure whether to take him to vet or monitor him.. I feel awful, I've cried all day, worried incase there's internal injury or something

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would take him to the vet for a check up. While it appears that he is not seriously injured that does not mean that he does not hurt or is tender someplace. It will also reassure you, or if there is an injury it will be clarified and you will get some help with caring for him. At 9 weeks he is still tiny to have had someone step on him and he might have some discomfort. Cats are very stoic about pain, so sometimes just observing them is not the best indicator of their level of discomfort.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree about seeing a vet. Kittens tend to bounce around without regard for safety. They can and do hurt themselves and keep on going without showing signs of injury until it's too late. My boy broke his leg and didn't respond to direct pressure on the point of the break. An x-ray would probably put your mind at ease and reveal if there is a problem.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he's a growing baby, I'd take him to the vet just to check up on him. He could be just sore, but you don't want to take chances and if the vet feels the pain is bad, they may want to give him a shot for it until he's back to himself :wave3:
I'd keep him quiet as possible and not encourage a lot of play or jumping for a few days if he does get the shot for pain, because when the pain killers work they feel great and want to rough house, and in doing so run the risk of causing even worse injury.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Again, yes, let's have him looked at. You'll rest easier. I will say that the chances are good, since he is eating and playing well, that there is nothing seriously amiss even that little cry and the sleeping could be due to soreness from soft tissue damage. But he's a LITTLE cat, and why take chances with him?