Help, I'm running out of library!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love books.
I walk about an hour every day.
I hate not having anything to think about.

Logical response: Listening to audiobooks checked out from my library's online collection. I download them to my mp3 player and listen to them anytime I'm not doing something that's interesting enough to keep my attention, from playing a computer game to scrubbing the dishes.

The problem: I'm scraping bottom. I exhausted the Science and History sections ages ago, and the sci-fi/fantasy collection and classics collections more recently. It's getting harder and harder to find audiobooks I'm interested in. They have a few thousand books total; but I'm not interested in self-help books or romance novels or "How to Speak Japanese".

Thankfully, when it comes to regular printed books, I won't run out of interesting ones to read for a long while. The libraries in my entire county are linked, and interlibrary loan means I can access everything from the two-room small-town ones to the big-city public library. I've exhausted local libraries twice already, but thankfully these are connected and that won't happen.

But... audiobooks. I'm running out of audiobooks and my brain needs input! The library doesn't get in new titles nearly fast enough.

I go through three or four audiobooks a week, some weeks. At least one, routinely.

Does anybody here know of a good online library for audiobooks? I don't want to buy them; I want to rent them short-term. Audiobooks often cost $10-$25 to download if you want to keep them but I know there are probably subscription services that should be cheaper.

I need:
--mp3 format, or something similar that can be played on a digital media player
--Inexpensive or free
--Ability to check out about ten books per month at least; preferably, a flat fee for unlimited audiobooks.
--A large selection of nonfiction including fairly advanced topics, especially science. Probably only possible for services with a very large selection, period. I'm looking for something around fifty to a hundred thousand books, total, which will probably include two or three hundred I'd be interested in.

Anybody know of anything like that? I've been googling and it's just plain confusing trying to sort through all the services and wondering which one's going to cheat me out of my credit card data.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh, yes
That's what I'm running out of, actually. I should have been clearer--it's the library's online collection that is getting too small; the physical library has some audiobooks, but not a whole lot.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Barnes and noble makes the nook and I don't know if they do audio but they do offer book lending where amazon and kindle do not. I've never used it but I've read about it. It could be worth a look on b&n website.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do they have the Terry Pratchett "discworld" series in audiobooks? It's about 35 books, lots of clever writing, and people you can really care about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My library doesn't have them in audiobook format. They do have the printed ones and I've read most of them. I totally loved "Monstrous Regiment"!