Help Identifying My Cat Pics Inside

jmwade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my cat Hermes for almost 2 years now. I have recently been led to believe that I may have a bronze Egyptian Mau. He is completely spotted except for the lower legs and the stripe down his back and stripes on his tail. He has the black lining around his green eyes with the two mascara lines. He also the pouch on his belly and his rear legs are longer than his front legs and he is full grown but noticeably smaller than most fully grown cats. He also sticks his tail up and twitches it when he is getting ready to take a nap, and does a ton of chittering/crazy bird noises. And he loves to scratch/kneed the floor in front of him.

A co worker of mine has basically been telling me that he can't be a Mau because they are rare and I adopted my cat from an animal shelter(he had no other's from his litter with him). She is telling me that he is just your average domestic short hair, but I cannot seem to find any domestic shorthair with his markings.

http://imageshack.us/g/718/16662345741980293545050.jpg/

Those aren't all that updated but he looks virtually the same just slightly bigger and more pronounced spots.

Either way he is my bestest bud. I am just trying to learn more about him.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/tabby/tabbies.htm
Check out the link above. Tabby coats come in all sorts of variations.

Your handsome Hermes looks to me like a Domestic Shorthair.
He's got a brown coat with a spotted or mackerel tabby pattern. (Looks more mackerel to me...)

Just 'cuz he's a Domestic Shorthair doesn't make him "average" in the least!
As you mentioned, he's your bestest bud!

My cat Simba is a brown classic/blotched tabby coated Domestic Shorthair and I couldn't ask for more!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmwade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you are right about the domestic short hair, but he definitely isn't mackeral. He has very pronounced spots about the size of pennies. They were smaller in those pictures because those are from when he was just a kitty.

Here is one in better lighting with the spots more visible;

As you can see he isn't nearly as brown as he looked in those other pictures, it was just bad lighting via cell phone camera.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Regular" tabbies can be spotted, as well. After all, purebred cats are made by selectively breeding from natural variations in regular old moggies, for several generations. He is a fine-looking young fellow, that's for sure!

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. The first picture made his coat look brown and mackeral.
There you have it. He's spotted! (and looks more silver in this lighting.)

Nice dogs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmwade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do domestic short hairs have their spotted markings on their skin also? The only reason why I thought he might be a mau is because my hometown vet said he was after he had some patches of missing fur via himself biting/licking because of him having bad allergies(he get's shots regularly).

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aprilyim

He's spotted! (and looks more silver in this lighting.)
Brown spotted tabby, domestic shorthair. Definitely not a silver. His coat is just a bit grayish shade of brown which is fairly common.
I can't see any Mau features in him but that doesn't make him any less of a cat.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello

I breed Egyptian Maus and just took a look at your pictures. He's a really cute cat and seems to be happy teasing those dogs. It's nice to see them so well socialized.

Lots of spotted tabby domestics are confused with Maus as Maus did in fact develop naturally on the streets. They have been modified through breeding however and when you meet them in person you can see the differences. They are a 'moderate' cat, but even so all the ones that I have handled (including my own) are small and kind of elegant when compared to domestic cats. Nothing against domestics, I have a long hair right now and have had many others through the years.

The stomach pouch of a Mau is actually extra skin at the front of the cat's knee. This skin allows for a wider range of movement and is believed to be why Maus are the fastest domestic breed. The sounds Maus make are more cat-specific, and I haven't heard anything from mine that a domestic hasn't made. Some of them meow more than chirp and some are the opposite.

The main difference is in the face. Maus have to have large light green eyes and an expression that looks worried. The mascara is common to all darker coloured tabbies.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Brown spotted tabby, domestic shorthair. Definitely not a silver. His coat is just a bit grayish shade of brown which is fairly common.
I can't see any Mau features in him but that doesn't make him any less of a cat.
Thanks for the clarification!

The main difference is in the face. Maus have to have large light green eyes and an expression that looks worried. The mascara is common to all darker coloured tabbies.
I love your description!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gorgeous cat and very pretty markings!!!!!
. The spots do look similar to the Mau's coat pattern but the face on a Mau is very unique and OH those LARGE eyes!!!