Help! I accidentally bought a Soda Stream!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, well I guess nobody accidentally buys anything. But I can't resist a good buy, and I found one at a high-end department store on clearance for $25.00. This is their newest model and calls itself a "water carbonator" or something like that, so I am not sure what to do with it. Why did I buy it? I don't know! I haven't looked at the instructions yet, but I wonder if it makes soda. It sells for about $100 on amazon and got pretty good reviews.

Does anyone have one and can give me your opinion? Are there different kinds and do you need a special one to make soda? Thanks.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom had one and yes, I believe you can make soda with yours but you have to buy the bottles of flavoring. The bad news is that the cartridge that makes the carbonation runs out and you have to buy replacements which are in the $15-20 range. Mom’s never ran out because she didn’t use it much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@susanm900 thank you you for answering. 🙂 I have been debating about whether to take it back or try it. I am curious about it, but don't want to use it if I am going to return it. It says on the box that I can get the cylinder refilled for around $2.75 at thousands of local places but they must be all that familiar with where I live. I am very curious about trying this, just to see if I can make anything close to fountain drink. I love fountain drink. 🥤

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
it should make soda, and works out way cheaper than buying it ready made. It also helps to stop all the packaging waste that goes with buying it ready-made.
But I'm not much use to you with other stuff as it's all different over here...

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@susanm900 thank you you for answering. 🙂 I have been debating about whether to take it back or try it. I am curious about it, but don't want to use it if I am going to return it. It says on the box that I can get the cylinder refilled for around $2.75 at thousands of local places but they must be all that familiar with where I live. I am very curious about trying this, just to see if I can make anything close to fountain drink. I love fountain drink. 🥤
If you use it, I'm curious how it works out. I also love fountain drinks.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one but I hadn't used it in quite a while. The cannister aren't that expensive after buying the first one, they are kind of like the core charge on auto parts. You take the empty one in and exchange it for a full one. I have pretty much given up soda, don't need the added sugar or the artificial sweeteners. I usually just used it to carbonate plain water. It doesn't taste any different then plain water; I think the bubbles just seem like soda.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I drink more water now that I work somewhere with great ice machines. When I am at home, I actually long for that ice. Then I found a convenience store that sells even better ice with their fountain drinks on the way to work. Now I take in soda. I am still debating on the soda maker. I have researched that they have had them in Europe for years and a lot of kids had them growing up. (My brother and I didn't - but apparently, they were there.) Still don't know whether to keep it. It came with a little bottle of lemon-lime flavor to start with.
And you know me, I love gadgets. It's too stormy to leave the house. DH will pick up food, but that's it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one and I just love it.I've mostly given up drinking sodas but I love the carbonated water,so that's what I use mine for.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I am going to keep it! I love lemonade and saw some folks on YouTube making some incredibly fizzy lemonade. And who gets a Soda Stream for $25.00? It may be a return, but as long as it doesn't appear damaged. Don't know why I am questioning this since I've wanted one for a long time. It was so spur of the moment.

Here I am, with my lemonade, which is rather dark:

:drinking:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We keep kicking it around. Do we want one or don't we? If I could find one for that price, I'd grab it in a heartbeat! You did good!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I bought something for the kitchen, I would tell Rick that the item just jumped into my cart and I was not responsible. Next time, I'm going to tell Rick that it was an accident. It just happened. Wonder if he'll believe me. :lol:
We used to do that to my FIL when my MIL would rescue a cat or kitten. For some reason, if he thought it was a stray that just showed up, he wouldn't get upset. I guess because she didn't actively bring it there. I was the weak link in the chain. He always called me with questions about how a new cat showed up. Unfortunately they never bothered to tell me what I was supposed to say. I told the truth! He always let them stay, everyone just had to listen to a little grumbling.

As for the Soda Stream, we now have one sugar free lemonade and a full sugar Pepsi syrup. We are going to try the lemonade first. I have to work the next two nights, but I'll let you know how it turns out. I even have fresh lemons to add. Should be fun.

Last edited by a moderator: