Help! How to get in carrier? Vet appointment this AM

xdcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We trapped a feral few months ago for TNR. We noticed he had a bad cough so have not released pending vet appointment. Had to cancel 3 appointments as It’s been impossible getting him in carrier. Even tried re-trapping but he seems to know when it is set (he will go in trap when not set). Finally got 100mg of gabapentin in him 2.5 hours before appointment at 8 am this morning. Of course he went immediately into trap *before* it was set but of course won’t go in after it’s set. From my gabapentin experience with other cats, I doubt it will be enough to handle him. Any advice on best ways to get him in carrier? We have tried putting food in there but he has not moved from his window sill, where he normally stays most of the day. We have been unsuccessful trying to grab him from window sill before.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wear gloves, not lose ones, safety glasses if you have them, long sleeve jacket (put the buttons in the back and button it). Then use a large bath towel (not a bath sheet that's too big) throw it over the cat, wrap around him and stuff him and the towel into the box. He will be screaming, he will seem to have 18 legs, he will try to bite you -- that's what the towel is for. Leave the towel in the box with him. Once you shut the box door, check the edges of the door to be sure nothing is caught in it. Leave the door shut. Let the vet sort it.

seriously.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It helps to set the carrier up-ended and lower the cat into it rather than trying to stuff them in the front. If he goes into the trap on his own when it is not set, do the old bottle and string method, it works even better. Get a 2-quart plastic bottle, milk bottles work well or any bottle that holds the door open, fill it half full of water, put the lid on, and tie a long skinny string on the bottom half of it. string it out to a doorway or as far away as you can make him comfortable with going in. Mine, about ten feet. When he goes in, pull the bottle away and the door comes down. Just make DOUBLE sure the door is not latched open, it's bad to pull the bottle away and scare the cat. I have done it! All the luck!