Help! How do you feed a feral kitten without KRM?

ullumini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a stray kitten (whom I've named Francis) on my porch about a week ago. At first, I gave him a box and a blanket and waited for the mother to come, but the mother never came, so I assumed that he was either abandoned or his mother was dead.
There aren't any nearby shelters (my country isn't big on animal welfare), and even if there were the current quarantine makes it difficult to go anywhere.

Based on information from the internet, I estimated Francis's age to be about three weeks old, but I may be wrong.
I read that at that age, he should be able to eat some solid food. Luckily I had some dry kitten food nearby (the reason why I had some is kind of complicated and unrelated) but the package said it was for kittens over 2 months old. It was better than nothing, so I gave Francis a bowl of it, some water and a heat bag. He barely eats (if he eats at all), but he's still alive and walking around as if it were nothing.

My parents don't want to keep him (our house isn't suitable for a kitten anyways), and I have no idea where to buy kitten replacement milk. I would buy them online, but I doubt my parents would let me, and the current situation makes it difficult anyways.

Recently I found him all wet and covered in dirt, so I tried to wash him with a wet cloth, but some dirt still remained. I have no idea how to take care of a kitten (or any kind of cat), so I'm scared I may have washed him too roughly, didn't dry him enough, or other things like that.

Unsurprisingly, I've gotten really attached to Francis, and I don't want him dying, but I don't know how to feed him. I don't have the ingredients necessary to make one of those DIY kitten milk recipes. So far I've tried soaking the food in water to make it easier for him to eat, but to no avail. My parents suggested giving him some boiled minced beef, but I'm unsure.

Can anyone suggest a way to feed him? If necessary, I can buy some wet kitten food for him. Any general advice is appreciated. Sorry for the long read by the way.

-Cas

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get goats milk?

Your tries so far are ok...

Unflavored children food is ok. Minced meat is often used in Sweden. So boiled must be ok. Wet kitten food can bevtried.

Goats milk is best. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where are you located? Can you get a can of evaporated milk? Or goat’s milk? Or even wet cat food? Any of these on a plate should do. He really must eat. Chicken minced very finely and mixed with water would work. Soft boiled egg mashed up. Yogurt is also good. With your love and care he should be okay. Can you keep him inside your room?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ullumini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you get goats milk?

Your tries so far are ok...

Unflavored children food is ok. Minced meat is often used in Sweden. So boiled must be ok. Wet kitten food can bevtried.

Goats milk is best. :)
I can't get both goats milk and unflavoured children's food (is there such a thing as unflavoured children's food? All children's food in my country are flavored, but maybe I've just never seen them before haha)
I'll try to get wet kitten food as soon as I'm allowed to go to the supermarket!

Where are you located? Can you get a can of evaporated milk? Or goat’s milk? Or even wet cat food? Any of these on a plate should do. He really must eat. Chicken minced very finely and mixed with water would work. Soft boiled egg mashed up. Yogurt is also good. With your love and care he should be okay. Can you keep him inside your room?
I may get evaporated milk, I'll definitely try that. What kind of yogurt can I give him? I can only think of greek yogurt, but greek yogurt is expensive here so I doubt I can convince my parents to get some. I may have chicken, but I'm unsure. Can he eat beef?
Unfortunately, he's strictly outside. I feel really bad because it often rains outside, and even though he's protected by the roof, I'm afraid he'll wander away from the porch and get wet and dirty again.

ullumini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention is that he isn't urinating or defecating. I read online that he needed to be stimulated by the mother's tongue and that I could stroke him with a damp towel, but it didn't work. Am I supposed to be doing something else?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he is not urinating or defecating it is because he is not getting enough food or liquid, or you are not seeing him go. You must start getting food into him before he becomes sick or fails to thrive. Get what you can of what has been mentioned. What country are you in?

ullumini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he is not urinating or defecating it is because he is not getting enough food or liquid, or you are not seeing him go. You must start getting food into him before he becomes sick or fails to thrive. Get what you can of what has been mentioned. What country are you in?
I'll definitely start trying some of your suggested methods! I live in Indonesia. Finding animal shelters here is pretty hard, so giving him away isn't an option I'm afraid.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think StefanZ meant baby food, with no seasonings. Chicken baby food is a very good starter food for kittens, just make sure it doesn't have onion or garlic in it.

If not, mashed-up boiled chicken is good too, if you can't get canned cat food.

Do you have a cage or dog crate? If he's allowed to toddle freely at this age he'll probably get himself killed. It would be best if you could keep him in one place, a nice warm and dry place of course.

ullumini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have baby food, but it's banana and rice flavored. I can convince my parents to get chicken baby food I think, but I'll just have to wait and see.
I have an unused hamster cage, but it may be too cramped. Still, it's a much better way to contain him in the cardboard box I'm currently keeping him in since he's able to escape it easily. It's definitely large enough to hold him, but it won't give him much space to move. Should I use it anyways?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not perfect but if this is a way to trick your parents to let him inside...

ullumini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ha, I wish, but there's absolutely no place for me to hide him. Our house is pretty small and doesn't have a lot of secluded areas. Plus, they're not big fans of animals.
The porch should do for now. I don't have to worry about him being cold in the day since we live in a hot area. In the night, however, it often rains, and although he's protected by the roof, he might get cold or get wet if he escapes. He has a heat pack, however, and that's the most I can give him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He cannot stay in a cage that small. It is not healthy. A kitten needs room to move around as they grow. Food is most important right now.