Help for chronic loose stools, Diarrhea for cats

TashuCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI I thought I'd post this to help others that may have a cat that has loose stools. My poor cat had this for over a month, I thought it might be the new food I tried for him, but it still kept happening to him. I tried pumpkin which he didn't like. Unflavored psyllium seed 1/2 tsp mixed in with his food helped a bit, but what really worked was pure encapsulations probiotic 123. I gave him a scoop (enclosed) twice a day mixed into his food. It's unflavored and now he has normal stool again. I'm still going to get him dewormed just in case this might be the problem, but need to wait till he finishes his flea medication according to the vet. Hope this helps you if your cat is suffering as well.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very common for cats to have sensitivity and intolerance for some foods. If you switched dry foods and didn't do a gradual introduction over a period of a few weeks, that can also cause diarrhea. Worms and parasites can cause diarrhea as well.

I would start with a fecal exam to rule out parasites. While you're at the vet, ask them for a sensitive tummy food to feed so that his bowels will calm down and he won't become dehydrated.

Then, go to the health food store and get saccharomyces boullardi and Culturelle. Give about 1/4 of each capsule to your kitty twice a day. Sprinkle on wet food and mix in. We do this for my kitty who has chronic soft stools if we get his food balance out of whack (Rx and grain-free) It takes about 3 days to see consistently solid poops.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the loose stools return, consider the more expensive Diarrhea PCR test which will identify microbial reasons (bacteria and viruses) for diarrhea that are not found in the cheaper fecal float test that looks for more macro reasons like worms.

My Krista had loose stools for months due to a Clostridium infection. Fecal float test was clear. Ultimately an aggressive dosing schedule with Jarrow brand Saccharomyces Boulardii (1/2 capsule 4 times a day) got her through it.

Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS