Help For Baby Kitten

Newkittymom19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was picking up my son from a study session late tonight and as I went to the door to get him I hear very loud kitten cries. I look to my right and see at least 3 tiny kittens run into the neighbors bushes. I asked my sons friends mother about them and she said that her neighbor moved about a month ago and left a cat and several kittens behind. She said she had not seen the mother cat in at least 2 days and the kittens were crying out of hunger. I will admit that I'm not really a car person but hearing helpless animals cry got to me. I spent almost 2 hours rumbling in the dark trying to catch the kittens and only managed to get my hands on one tiny little kitty. I went straight to walmart and bought some Fancy Feast wet kitten food and a bottle just in case but it does not know how to eat the food. I had some powdered goats milk and it drank about 3 tablespoons of formula and it is now sound asleep. I need advice as to how to keep this kitten alive? I called my local shelter but they said that they would only take it to put it to sleep because of its age. I do plan to return in the morning as soon as the sun comes up to look for the remaining kittens because I know that I saw at least 3 maybe 4 more that were all black. I did take one quick picture before the kitten went to sleep

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
good beginning with this goats milk. You can proceed with this. And with time slowly introduce this fancy feast.
If you dont have problems with salomonella in eggs, you can have egg yolk with this goats milk. It becomes even more nourishing.

Also some water esp if it seems dehydrated.

Be sure the kitten is warm!

Have a non climping cat litter, in a shallow pan, so its easy to climb in and out.
You must perhaps help to stimulate the kitten in the beginning.
Begin with having the kitten in ONE safe room, so it finds itself comfortable in there. and learn to use the litter.

Whe you let him visit other rooms too, have one litter pan in each room.

They are born homeless, but at this age, 5-6 weeks, they shouldnt be difficult to get fully socialized.

Ps. this kitten will be callled for domestic shorthair, seal point, look alike to siamese old type. He will be very handsome, someone to be proud of.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps, if you find the others, they will surely be dehydrated and weak.

Begin with giving them pedialyte or water with some honey in. this you can do even before they are warm enough to eat.

If necessary, smear their lips and gum with water + honey, may be quite sweet here. Gives quick energy.

Warm up, if necessary by rubbing and massaging.

Proceed with this goat milk when they are warm enough. Not too much at first sitting, better little but often.

Sorry I didnt wrote it earlier.

I was picking up my son from a study session late tonight and as I went to the door to get him I hear very loud kitten cries. I look to my right and see at least 3 tiny kittens run into the neighbors bushes. I asked my sons friends mother about them and she said that her neighbor moved about a month ago and left a cat and several kittens behind. She said she had not seen the mother cat in at least 2 days and the kittens were crying out of hunger. I will admit that I'm not really a car person but hearing helpless animals cry got to me. I spent almost 2 hours rumbling in the dark trying to catch the kittens and only managed to get my hands on one tiny little kitty. I went straight to walmart and bought some Fancy Feast wet kitten food and a bottle just in case but it does not know how to eat the food. I had some powdered goats milk and it drank about 3 tablespoons of formula and it is now sound asleep. I need advice as to how to keep this kitten alive? I called my local shelter but they said that they would only take it to put it to sleep because of its age. I do plan to return in the morning as soon as the sun comes up to look for the remaining kittens because I know that I saw at least 3 maybe 4 more that were all black. I did take one quick picture before the kitten went to sleep

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Newkittymom19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps, if you find the others, they will surely be dehydrated and weak.

Begin with giving them pedialyte or water with some honey in. this you can do even before they are warm enough to eat.

If necessary, smear their lips and gum with water + honey, may be quite sweet here. Gives quick energy.

Warm up, if necessary by rubbing and massaging.

Proceed with this goat milk when they are warm enough. Not too much at first sitting, better little but often.

Sorry I didnt wrote it earlier.
Thank you for all of your advice. The kitten is active and appears happy but will not eat. I tried the same bottle as last night and nothing. I gave it a tiny bit of nutrical kitten vitamin and she slowly linked it off of my finger. I do not see any evidence that it has gone pee or poo.

Newkittymom19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This kitten is very small, looks bigger in the close up picture and I just weighed it and it is 338 grams.

Newkittymom19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten just went poo and it was quite watery does that mean anything? If it was able to link nutrical from my finger shouldn't it be able to link food from a bowl because it won't even try and just walks away.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He had momma till now, so he isnt weaned as yet. You must try to help him as well you can. Entice him to lick off your fingers, use bottle, even use a small syringe to "forcefeed" if he has difficult with bottle. Kittens used to momma has often difficult for bottle...
He isnt very lillte, perhaps 4 weeks, but not weaned.

He is prob quite weak, as he was alone some time. His siblings, if still alive are even weaker. Lets hope somebody helped them.

Good he pooped, even if watery. You must perhaps help some with stimulating.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try feeding with a needleless syringe instead of a bottle. You can give one drop at a time into the side of the mouth until the kitten gets the idea.

Any luck getting the others?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The others need to be saved quickly or they will not survive. As said above they are not weaned and need to be taught to eat. Set a small shallow dish down and smear the goats milk or a slurry of goats milk mixed with pate cat food on their lips to make them taste it. Once they start licking it off their mouth it seems to go better. Or like said get a needless syringe and squirt just a tiny amt. of slurry into the side of their mouth. The diarrhea is caused by stress, and a change in diet. The little bottom needs to be cleaned and stimulated by rubbing in circles to get any more out. There are you tube videos that show how to do that. If you can't catch the others be sure to leave a slurry there to entice them. They should be so weak by now, they should be easier to catch. I pray you find them. Did your friend try to feed/catch them? I can't imagine a 'friend' letting defenceless kittens starve to death. The mama must have been killed or starved to death herself, she would give her own life to try to feed the kittens, at the cost of killing herself. You will be blessed for helping them, PLEASE keep us posted!

Newkittymom19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try feeding with a needleless syringe instead of a bottle. You can give one drop at a time into the side of the mouth until the kitten gets the idea.

Any luck getting the others?
I have tried feeding with the needle less syringe and he seems to do a little better with that over the bottle but the first night he took the bottle no problem but I'm thinking that is because he was so hungry. He became VERY weak yesterday to the point where I thought he was not going to make it but now appears to be doing fine again.

I went back twice yesterday to look for the other kittens with the help of my teenage son and his friend and I had no luck. I questioned neighbors and nobody had seen any kittens or the mom cat.

Newkittymom19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The others need to be saved quickly or they will not survive. As said above they are not weaned and need to be taught to eat. Set a small shallow dish down and smear the goats milk or a slurry of goats milk mixed with pate cat food on their lips to make them taste it. Once they start licking it off their mouth it seems to go better. Or like said get a needless syringe and squirt just a tiny amt. of slurry into the side of their mouth. The diarrhea is caused by stress, and a change in diet. The little bottom needs to be cleaned and stimulated by rubbing in circles to get any more out. There are you tube videos that show how to do that. If you can't catch the others be sure to leave a slurry there to entice them. They should be so weak by now, they should be easier to catch. I pray you find them. Did your friend try to feed/catch them? I can't imagine a 'friend' letting defenceless kittens starve to death. The mama must have been killed or starved to death herself, she would give her own life to try to feed the kittens, at the cost of killing herself. You will be blessed for helping them, PLEASE keep us posted!
Thanks for the advice. I will watch some youtube videos today. Caring for this kitten has been a challenge for me to say the least due to all of my worry on what is or is not normal. The lady who I questioned about the kittens is not my friend. She is the mother of my teenage sons friend. I did leave a small blanket and some food in a dish in the area that I last saw the kittens. I plan to go back today to check for them again or any signs that they were there. The weather has become very cold here now at night and the kitten that I have has become weak on and off in my care so I can't imagine that the others if still outside are doing well.