Help! Flea Treatment Didn't Work

hiroober

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is literaly the first time my all time indoor cat has flea. I freaked out and got her a Broadline immediately, but 4 days later, she still has them! Today I washed all the sheets and bed stuffs and flea bombed my room, bathed my fur baby and got rid a half dozen adult fleas on her in the water. Then at bed time, I saw fleas on her again...My question is, since the last treatment didn't work, can I give her another one from different brand? Will it be overdosed?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I use generic Frontline with good results. Some use Advantage. They both kill fleas and the eggs . I don't know the active ingredients in Broadline . If one medication fails to work I would try a different one.
Sometimes with longhair cats you must make sure you part the hair and apply the drops directly on the skin . The directions say it can take up to 5 days to kill all the fleas.
Good luck ... :catrub:

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the ingredients in Broadline? I would wait at least a few weeks to try anything else. You could try Frontline Plus (Fipronil). It can take 3 months to get rid of an infestation though. So if you still see fleas, it might just be the eggs hatching. If you try Frontline, don't wash it off. Keep using it once a month for 3 months and give it time to work.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have patience :) Flea medicines don't work right away. It takes time for the medicine to fully break the flea life cycle. It usually takes more than one dose of medicine. Follow the instructions on the package for the proper dosing schedule or ask the vet if you are unsure.

Is Broadline a monthly flea medicine? I can't tell from the web site: BROADLINE spot-on solution for cats | Merial New Zealand If it is a monthly, then you have to wait a full month to give another dose unless your vet recommends otherwise.

While the flea medicine slowly works, you can do other things to get rid of the fleas. Comeb your cat's fur frquently with a fine toothed comb to remove fleas and eggs. Dunk the comb into hot soapy water after each pass throgh the fur to drown the fleas. Vaccum frequently. Give your cat a bath in blue Dawn dish soap or have a groomer give a flea bath.Keep on top of washing blankets, bedding, etc in hot water. There are more tips here: Homemade Flea Remedies For Cats

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, make sure you vacuum more often, and even spray some flea killer on the carpet to kill the eggs and fleas you suck up. Wash blankets and covers almost daily and spray the area where your cat sleeps before you replace the bedding. I know it's a pain for a while, but since eggs keep hatching it's needed. Good luck!

lisnya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The fleas will die immediately but new ones hatch and you need to repeat the treatment. You also need to do a deep cleaning in your house, fleas are not easy to get rid of. My dad owned cattle and even though we lived far from the farm, in the city, and he always showered and wore clean clothes before coming home, he'd bring them with. You need to wash all the linens and vacuum all the surfaces and be thorough, they can be a pain. Spray some insecticide, too.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Put a few moth balls in the vacuum bag . This kills any fleas sucked into the container .

( FYI - It looks like Broadline contains the same ingredients as Frontline Plus )

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Familiarize yourself with flea life cycle. All the suggestions are very good because you can continued outbreaks for awhile until all the eggs, larvae and pupae are accounted for. Just because you are still seeing fleas on her doesn't mean the treatment isn't working. Frontline and Broadline kill adult fleas that are on your animal.

Flea Life Cycle: Eggs, Larvae, etc.