Help Cat Is Way Overdue!!

Apricot1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is currently between 73 and 77 days pregnant. I know for a fact because she is an indoor cat and accidentally got outside and was gone for 4 days. We brought her to the vet on Monday and we're told she's dilated and would have them anytime. Tuesday night she started having contractions every few minutes and spent an hour or two in her nesting box. The contractions stopped and he never had any kittens. She is acting normal and doesn't show any signs of distress or discomfort. Has anyone else ever had a cat carry for this long?! Is there anything I can do to help her labor start?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very unusual that pregnancy will go over 70 days. At that point I would do an ultrasound to see how the kittens are doing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What was the last day she was out?

If you are concerned then you’ll need to get her checked again, but she does not sound in distress. It sounds like her body is not quite ready yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apricot1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What was the last day she was out?

If you are concerned then you’ll need to get her checked again, but she does not sound in distress. It sounds like her body is not quite ready yet.
The last day she was out was March 25th

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens in birth position dont move much, but can you feel them?

IS she still preg??

Is it possible she delivered stillborn and immediately ate them - you dont noticing anything??

Apricot1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens in birth position dont move much, but can you feel them?

IS she still preg??

Is it possible she delivered stillborn and immediately ate them - you dont noticing anything??
We haven't felt them move at all. She still looks pregnant and the only way she would have delivered a stillborn and ate them is if she had done it while we were sleeping and didn't it somewhere other than the box we made her. Her nipples are super swollen and she's producing milk. Her behavior is still perfectly normal so we're stumped.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest getting an ultrasound to make sure they have heartbeats.

Apricot1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you bring her by the vet again? Let them know that she still hasn’t had the kittens. By any chance, is she a Siamese? They typically have a slightly longer gestation period.

Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats
She is not Siamese, she is a grey and white Manx cat.
Can you bring her by the vet again? Let them know that she still hasn’t had the kittens. By any chance, is she a Siamese? They typically have a slightly longer gestation period.

She is not Siamese, she is a grey and white Manx.

Attachments

Apricot1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a grey and white Manx.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is a tailless cat, I wonder if she might have some physical issue that could cause a problem. Taillessness in cats can be associated with urinary and fecal incontinence, and I suppose it's possible that it could also hinder going into labor. Is she an actual Manx cat from a breeder, or a tailless cat with unknown background?

I would definitely take her to the vet and have an ultrasound to see if the kittens are okay. If you are absolutely certain of your dates, your vet may want to consider inducing labor or even a c-section.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you never felt kittens move, this may perhaps be a false pregnancy? But you were at the vets, I presume the vet would notice if there were kittens at all or not...
Anyways, I agree with the others. Its high time to go anew to the vet. As you are sure she is 70+, there is not any danger for premature kittens.

Which is one big reason why we usually recommend to wait it out if momma is OK: c-section is always dangerous for kittens, and double so if they happen to be premature...

But its time now to do something, or at least - check her out...

ps. If you never felt them move, there is also some possibility they are already dead. And probably were never viable as they never moved inside. In such a case they should be taken out, this way or another. Momma spayed at the same time, unless you are a breeder of Manx cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
lutece lutece has given great advice - it’s time for an ultrasound at the vet office.

Please let us know what the vet says.