Help Cat Drama On Our Front Porch Every Night, Indoor/outdoor Cat Relations, Strays...

juliabee23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I am a new cat owner and new to this community. I have never considered myself a “cat person,” but have had some very special cats in my life, and now that we have one of our own, the big, cat world has opened up to me!

My issue is this:

My daughter, almost 10, has always been an animal lover. Before we got our 1.5 year old cat 2 weeks ago (lynx point from a shelter), my daughter befriended an outdoor neighborhood/community cat that is owned by our neighbor down the way (townhome community). We started feeding this cat and eventually would let this smart, personality-filled, loving 7/8-year old tuxedo tom into our home. He would sleep with my daughter sometimes, hang out with us, cuddle, etc. etc. Very good with my 2-year old. He is very special. Since we got our own cat (my daughter wanted her own), who is an indoor cat, I have been hesitant to have them meet since she is still adjusting to her home, and is still skiddish, though very affectionate at times and likes to be around people. She came from Puerto Rico, the shelter she was at partners with a shelter there, so not sure of her history, and want her to be as comfortable as possible as she adjusts. They did meet briefly, and our cat was NOT into it. They have since sniffed each other through a screened window.

The neighbor cat really considers our family his own, and cries to come in every night and morning. He literally waits on our porch or doorstep most days for us to come home. We have been giving him affection outside on our porch. There is another cat in his owner household that he does not get along with who has been coming to our house lately. The owner thinks they are friendly with each other, but I’m not sure what the motivation for the other one to come around is. There are also strays that are hanging around and he gets territorial with them. Since we have been feeding him on our porch instead of inside his house, this has got to be what has been attracting strays. We also have another neighbor who has left food out and attracted strays as well. The overall problem is that this week, there have been 2 days where I found clumps of fur on our porch, pretty sure from cat fights. This morning, I found—diarrhea? Catbarf? Barf I think with a chunk of mouse in it on our porch. A couple of weeks ago there was cat poop on our porch chair.

There are a couple of issues here—do we integrate Zuzu with our cat (he has had outdoor cat shots)? Will that stress her out? Do we stop feeding him, but still give him affection (he will feel betrayed, I think, and I care about him)? I DO NOT want cat drama playing out on our porch every night, but it is. What do I do? Zuzu’s owner literally comes to our house to spend time with him every evening… I know the first step is to not leave food out, but I’m thinking I want to eliminate outdoor feeding all together. This cat drama is stressing me out. I work and have a 2-year-old who is starting to throw tantrums and do not have time to deal with cleaning cat barf when I’m trying to get kids ready to school in the morning. It’s also hard when Zuzu cries at our door every morning at 6 am…

HELP!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliabee23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...meant to write that we have been feeding him on the porch instead of inside OUR house...

juliabee23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also, Zuzu has another family he hangs around with, spends time in their home, they feed him as well, so he's getting love from other sources, but we are his preferred territory.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you put a gate on one of the rooms in the house and try to introduce them?

juliabee23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
reading article on introducing cats right now...but larger question is do we even let the neighborhood cat into our home anymore...he had stick tight fleas a little while ago...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has fleas? I would ask the owner if either she or you could treat him for those before letting him in your house.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you know the cat has an owner, your best bet is to stop feeding him and ignore his 6 a.m. crying. Eventually, he will stop coming over. I know you don't want to do this, but it's a mistake to feed someone else's cat. Right now, he is causing havoc in your household, and you need to take care of your own first.