Help Asap!! Feral Cat Had Kittens And One Has Died

Sam1020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there! I'm new to this so if I make any mistakes, I'm sorry!

So in my neighborhood there is a LARGE number of cats. A whole colony. They kind of belong to the neighborhood as a whole. They have been here for years and years and make people feed them. Most are very friendly and affectionate because they're so used to being around people. MOST have been spayed or neutered. However, one just recently had kittens, three of them. Behind our home and several others there are woods (small, shallow woods, you can see through to the other side almost) but it's home to many raccoons. The local shelter has set up a few "igloos"- little insulated cat shelters. I saw the mother cat give birth and take her 3 babies over to the igloo almost three weeks ago. When I sit outside I can hear them make their little noises and the igloo they are in is directly next to my house. Earlier tonight I heard loud noises coming from the igloo. My bf and I went over to see what was happening and there was a raccoon in the igloo with the kittens while the mother was standing outside trying to scare it away. We successfully got the raccoon to leave, and checked on the kittens and they all seemed fine. I heard them crying a little bit ago but it sounded closer than usual so I went over to check on them and two of them were outside of the igloo- one was laying down on the ground the other trying to walk with its little unready baby legs, both making noise and moving, and the mother was laying beside them. I didn't see the other so I peeked my head in and saw the the third one was dead. I don't know what to do. First of all I can't stop crying, and second of all I am so beyond worried. Not only do the raccoons now know where the kittens are, but now they are exposed and more vulnerable to being attacked. I'm afraid the one who's laying down may be hurt but that's just a suspicion. I have two friends who work for a shelter and help me with the cats if there are ever any issues but seeing as it's 3:00am I can't get a hold of them and am in such a panic I can't sleep and decided to try a message board in hopes that someone may see it and respond soon.

Someone please tell me what to do. I have ZERO experience with cats, having had dogs my entire life but I genuinely care about these cats, as I would for any animal, especially those without homes. The kittens will be spayed/neutered as soon as they can be separated from the mother and she will also be spayed. I've already spoken to my friend about having it done. So that part is taken care of, but I really need help ASAP.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and to anyone who offers any advice or words of wisdom- I genuinely appreciate it. And so do the cats and kittens who will benefit from it.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring for these cats... is there anyway that you can take mom and kittens inside? A spare room, bathroom, even a space for a large dog crate?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, its best from all aspects you take your protegees inside, and proceed from there.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S Sam1020

Yes, inside your home is best. Then, all of them need to see the vet. The babies probably need antibiotics after being attacked by the raccoon.

I hope the babies will be okay!

Please update when you can.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would live trap those raccoons and release them far away. they are most likely getting too crowded in that area, and are desperate for food. See if the local animal control can help you. Use fruit for bait so the cats won't go in. Is there a garage or shed that you can make a little hole in for mama that is too small for the raccoons? If not maybe someone could fill in that doorway on their igloo so raccoons won't fit. Inside would be best, but I don't know if mama would be happy. I wish them well, and will pray for their safety.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your problem is you fear momma is semiferal and unused to be inside. This is seldom any real problem. Cat moms are good moms, and the welfare of their children is much more important for them than "freedom". As soon as they had landed, notice nobody is treating them nor is mean to them, and this seems the best practical chance for her children, she will do copy and even cooperate. Its one of the nice wonders of rescue work. Prepare a safe and cozy room for her (may even be a cage). You can even cheat a little and use a Feliway adapter, but it shouldnt be necessary.

S Sam1020

... Inside would be best, but I don't know if mama would be happy. I wish them well, and will pray for their safety.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a telephone number you can call (1.800.274.8837) to obtain help to drive out raccoons in your area. If you do I suggest you tell them your reasons to make sure their advice is not dangerous for mother cat and kittens

But perhaps by now you have been able to contact your friends who work in a shelter?

Please keep us updated. Best of luck.