Help! Advice Please?!

Hassie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a young cat that just had 2 kittens a week ago. She initially was such a wonderful mom. Friday she was wanting to go outside and stay. I made her stay in eventually and I had to leave for a couple of days. When I returned one of the babies was dead. I really believe she killed it. She frightened me earlier with how she was attacking the surviving kitten and I stopped her. She acts frustrated to take the time to feed it. Then she took it and hid it under my recliner and isn't responding to its cries. Should I keep her away from it before she hurts or kills it? I've bottle feed many kittens throughout the years and had cats all my life but I have never witnessed this type of behavior.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here its probably best and safest you separate them, and continue to handraise the kitten yourself. Especially as you DO have experience with this.

Momma is probably unwell, possible and or in heat. But only heat wont explain such behavior...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm sure she is in heat. I would definitely separate her from the kitten, and have her spayed ASAP. This may continue with other kittens she may have, or something is wrong with the kittens she has now and she is separating herself from the remaining one. I had a cat taht had litters only a little over two months apart, but she took care of and nursed both litters. Please keep us posted on how she and the kitten is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hassie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I gave her through the night to see what she would do. She took the baby from its nest and put it under the recliner and did not tend to it at all. She laid by my side wanting attention for herself. So I put her out and I am going to raise it. Baby is good and calm. Doesn't seem to be a fan of the dropper but it settles down and is sleeping good. I have a baby bottle but it won't take from that right now.

She must be in heat. So I will have her to the vet. Her mother was wild and I had much difficulty with her. I'm definitely not allowing this to happen to more kittens. My heart can't take that.
Thanks again for helping me settle to what my instincts were telling me!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten will probably take a bottle soon.

I hope you can get mom spayed this week. She should calm doen after spaying.