Hello from me and Smudge!

SharonW67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I have had a few cats over the last 30 years, but by May 2020 I had been 3 years cat free!

Never thought I would want another kitty after having a cat hair free house for so long. BUT a cousin was giving some kittens away during lockdown and, on an impulse, I had a little ginger boy from her and called him Smudge. The name was recycled from a cat I had had off her a few years ago when she had another baby and, as she had a few cats at the time, she was looking to rehome him. I had already rehomed his sister from another relative so thought it would be nice for them to be together. He was also a (big) ginger boy already named Smudge, so giving my kitten the same name made sense!

New Smudge is 19 months old now, and he is both a loving little boy and a killer :( I have never experienced the plethora of little creatures that he thinks I need to see hanging out of his mouth before in any of my previous cats. (Mice, baby birds etc. I once found the remains of a baby rabbit behind my kitchen bin, literally just the skin and ears).

He is also a little wanderer. He goes off for hours (sometimes days) at a time. Something I have never had before so it's a bit of a worry. He doesn't disappear that often, probably about twice a month. Most of the time he is indoors with me at night (next to me in bed!).

I am hoping to re-home an unwanted cat or stray sometime soon because there are so many of them, and also in the hope that it will make Smudge less inclined to go off on his travels if he has company at home. I work full-time (although I was furloughed at the time I had him, so we had a good 6 months together indoors before he was neutered and chipped and allowed to go out).

So I am looking for advice about re-homing; what sort of age would suit my cat, should it be a male or female etc..

On a side-note, my cousin's sister had little Smudge's brother on the same day. We live about 3 streets apart. Around November last year, after they had both been allowed out for about a month, she sent me a picture of both cats together in her back garden. Somehow Smudge had navigated his way to find his brother. They meet up quite often for a play-date!

Anyway, I've rambled on a bit in my first post, so here is a picture of my little assassin Smudge :gingercat2:

smudge cat forum.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: It must be nice having a cat in your life again. Smudge is a cutie pie. :catlove:

It must be a worry, though, having him wander off so often. If you're interested in keeping him as an inside only cat, here's a few TCS articles with helpful tips.

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles

And about adopting a companion for him, there's Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty – TheCatSite Articles

Do plan to keep them separated at first, so that you can do a proper introduction.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck. Hope you find the purrfect buddy for Smudge.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome Smudge! How’s his purr? A big boomer or a tiny trickle?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SharonW67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: It must be nice having a cat in your life again. Smudge is a cutie pie. :catlove:

It must be a worry, though, having him wander off so often. If you're interested in keeping him as an inside only cat, here's a few TCS articles with helpful tips.

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles

And about adopting a companion for him, there's Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty – TheCatSite Articles

Do plan to keep them separated at first, so that you can do a proper introduction.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck. Hope you find the purrfect buddy for Smudge.
Thank you! I am about to read those links. I don't want to keep him inside though :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! I am about to read those links. I don't want to keep him inside though :(
I totally understand, as lots of people still have indoor/outdoor cats. But having had a darling cat hit and killed by a car when I was younger, I like to make sure people are aware of the alternatives to letting them run freely outside.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-041434.jpg
SharonW67 and Smudge, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
27fcc15df3fba68a2a4b868777fc711c.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Smudge is a cutie! :hearthrob: :redheartpump: Do post more photos of Smudge and we have a special thread here just for him in post-pics-of-calicos-tortieshells-and-orange-cats-here.303458 and many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, look at that! Such a cutie pie!

Welcome to you and your cat to TCS!