Hello from a new cat dad

FrazzledMumbly

Max's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
I lost my cat of fifteen years in February and, ready or not, I brought home a little boy named Max from a farm litter yesterday. My roommate had adopted a kitten from the same place a few weeks back and I was feeling daring (also, there's a cat around 80 cat years old in the house in desperate need of another youngin' around to deflect some of that play energy). Max is a little nervous, he stayed under my bed for a couple hours and then spent the night bouncing between cuddling my face and wandering off to chirp around the room for his missing siblings- I didn't get much sleep but he's an angel. Eating his food and using his litterbox with zero problems.

He looks very similar to my old girl when she was a kitten, a soft grey tabby, except she was a feisty thing to anyone besides me (and sometimes me) her whole existence.

His demands so far revolve around tummy rubs and smooshing his face to mine while making biscuits. He follows me around the room and does the gentlest little meows for attention. I know he's young, but I've been around cats my whole life and I've never handled a kitten this naturally affectionate/outgoing before. I was expecting him to be more spooked! Aside from tucking his tail when the traffic's too loud or one of the roommate's cats sticks an investigating paw under the door, he's made himself at home. He's laying on the desk next to my laptop while I type this. My biggest problems are that he loves having his tummy rubbed so much that I can't get him to stay upright long enough for a revolution application and his occasional farts are terrifying.

It's been a long time since I cared for a kitten though. I've only just finished grieving enough to get used to being alone in my room again so... I already know my anxiety's going to kick in hard any time now. Figured I should get ahead of myself and join this forum before my irrational worries over this little dude start! He'll be comfy enough to start zooming around for real soon.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: You've found the right place to get support for any kitty concerns you may have.

Condolences on the loss of your 15 year old cat. It's never easy to say goodbye to them. If you think it might help, we have a Crossing the Bridge where you could post a tribute. RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

I hope little Max will help heal your broken heart. I'm sure he'll, for sure, keep you busy.

Since it's been a while since you've had a kitten, here's couple TCS articles that might be helpful
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House – TheCatSite Articles
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips | TheCatSite

Did I read right that you also have an older cat? If so, here's another article for you:
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite

Good luck with little Max. Feel free to post pics of him, if you'd like.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrazzledMumbly

Max's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'll check those out. No pics for now since they're all on my phone but I'm sure I'll post some eventually. Already have a stockpile of cute ones.

I live in a large house with a handful of other adults, one of my housemates has a kitten that's slightly older than my new son and an older cat free roaming. :) Apart from them liking to come in my room for extra lovings each day, I'm not their human. They're very confused that my door is shut to them for now, haha <3

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations in your new furball! I had ti put my beloved tabby boy Jaxson down last november. Victor, my new boy has made our family complete again(a house is not a home without a cat!) Victor is 5 month old and full of energy!! It took a little adjusting since it’s been 15 years since we had a kitten but we are bonded now and I am so happy we took the kitten plunge again!! I wish you amy years of happiness with your new kitty. Post some pics!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
3d4a7fca5a901077faa7d23e16e6e300.gif
FrazzledMumbly and Max, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
d6de63c951a6c6aeac8e765a1757a51b.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Do post photos of Max for us to see! :camera: :camera: :camera: and we are so
IMG_3272.GIF
to hear about your previous cat :alright:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I'm glad you joined the site albeit my sincere regrets on the loss of your 15 year old cat. It sounds like your new kitten, Max, is off to a good start and winning you over with his affection.:lovecat3: Can't wait to see a pic or two of him when you have a chance.:camera:

FrazzledMumbly

Max's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Realizing you may not know what he was fed before, but what are you feeding him now?
I don't think his diet was anything consistent, but the bit of food that came with him just looks like Meow Mix (he was already a tooter when I met him at the farm, seems to sneak out when he's relaxed/playing). I'm transitioning him over to Redford Naturals kitten food and he doesn't mind the difference one bit so I'm hoping the change will be kind on his tum after a few days! I've heard opposing verdicts on whether healthier foods make stinkers more or less stinky, so I'll just be happy that he's eating well, drinking water, and using his box like a good boy. :p

Posted a pic of Max in The Cat's Meow section!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've heard opposing verdicts on whether healthier foods make stinkers more or less stinky,
I think it's not so much whether the food is healthier, necessarily, but mostly it's finding the food that works for his system :).

Bless your heart, I'm so glad you two found each other! I LOVE that photo and the caption, I was laughing out loud as I was showing it to my partner :lol2:

FrazzledMumbly

Max's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's not so much whether the food is healthier, necessarily, but mostly it's finding the food that works for his system :).

Bless your heart, I'm so glad you two found each other! I LOVE that photo and the caption, I was laughing out loud as I was showing it to my partner :lol2:
Makes sense. Whether Meow Mix suited him or not, he turned out twice the size of his much fluffier littermates and seems very healthy aside from the gas. He got his Revolution drop this morning, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about mites/fleas/etc until he can get in to he vet.

He's a funny dude! Has now taken to standing on the litterbox lid to watch in dismay while I scoop and then go in immediately after to show me the correct way to dig and bury things in there. Because I was obviously taught very wrong.