Hello everyone!

banbury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I found this forum! I've been involved in cat rescue for several year through shelters and animal control but I'm still a relatively new cat owner. I've loved cats (and all other animals) all my life, but due to allergies in the family, I never grew up with them in my home. To my parents dismay, all the strays and outdoor cats in our neighborhood knew where I lived!

Tyson was our first cat. He was a 3.5 week old orphaned, singleton kitten that I took home to foster from work and he never left. Tyson wasn't a cat for everyone; he picked up some bad habits because he was a singleton kitten and has issues with bite inhibition. He wasn't aggressive, just over enthusiastic with his playing but we loved him all the same.
Very sadly right before he turned 3, Tyson suffered an aortic thromboembolism and we had to say goodbye to him. It was completely devastating to lose him so young, especially when nothing abnormal had ever been found by our vets. I try to remember he was happy and loved while he was with us and that's what is important.

Fast forward a few years and I've been lucky to find two more wonderful cats to share my home with, both who also came from my work. Reuben came first as a 4 month old kitten that was living on an old farm (born to a stray or feral mom) and I had to set a trap to catch him. I call him the "new" TNR: trap-neutered-refuse to be released. He probably should have been feral but had decided he'd much prefer to be indoors, even if he does hate strangers and guests.

And more recently added to the mix is Finley. He was taken in at 6 weeks old with his siblings when their owner couldn't handle the volume of cats she had any longer. Finley stole our heart, which worked out perfectly because Reuben needed a playmate. Finley is still a baby at only 9 months. We like to call him our "simple cat" but he is the sweetest boy and the type that doesn't know a stranger (stark comparison to Reuben and strangers).

It's been a great match with Reuben and Finley. They love wrestling and zooming around the house, but curl up to cuddle as well and luckily are both still very affectionate with us. It's actually my lop eared bunny that rules the house though.. they bow down to the bunny overlord.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello banbury, welcome to TCS :wavey:

Glad that you've found us and happy to hear that you're involved in rescues :clap:

This is a great site and hope you enjoy your stay here. Do ask questions if you have any or let us know your experiences in your rescue work.

Reuben and Finley are adorable! Do post more photos of them ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

banbury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

Last edited:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!  You have some great photos of your beautiful cats!

It's a great website.  The people are friendly and helpful.  Enjoy!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Great story.  I love "the "new" TNR: trap-neutered-refuse to be released".  

They are handsome boys and lucky to have found their way to your home.  

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Are bunnies known to be natural alphas to cats? I haven't heard that before. Is it because bunny was there first? What cute photos! Welcome.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Are bunnies known to be natural alphas to cats? I haven't heard that before. Is it because bunny was there first? What cute photos! Welcome.
Bunnies are well known for bringing chocolate - especially this time of year.  Chocolate contains xantheose (i.e. theobromine) which is very dangerous for cats.  Darwin showed that cats defer to bunnies because of Natural Confection Selection.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Your cats are so cute! Finley looks so dapper in his bow tie. I have a friend who has a Maine Coon and a Norwegian Forest Cat as well as a Miniature Lop rabbit, and this rabbit chases the cats. It's like the cats don't realize their size. ;P

Last edited: