Heavily pregnant cat won't eat despite vet saying she's healthy

shrimpnation

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am not to this forum and posting on these sort of things in general but wondering if someone can help me.

I adopted a 1yr 11 month unspayed female seal-point Siberian over a month ago. She was with a breeder before and I don't think she was kept in the best circumstances. Since getting her my partner and I have cared for her as well as we can: integrated her slowly to the house, bought her a cat tree and healthy high quality food, and took her to the vet as soon as we could after getting her. She seemed very happy and healthy up until 5 days or so ago.

A week ago we took her to the vet again to get spayed, but after feeling her tummy and then doing a scan the vet told us she's pregnant. Now, she's already had two litters and this is her third, which I know is bad for such a young cat but this current litter is too far along to do anything about, and she got pregnant before we got her (we have kept her indoors since we got her). I do feel really bad for her- this shouldn't have been allowed to happen. Here's where the problems start, for the past 4/5 days she's been super off her food and not drinking as much. We took her to the vet again yesterday who did another full scan of her belly (4 kittens inside!!), blood test, gave her fluid injection, and just a general check all over. The vet said everything is fine and she's not worried about her, and she's very far along- likely to give birth this week. Today we still can't get her to eat properly. She just licks the wet food and nibbles some of the actual meat, and nibbles a few biscuits. Before she would eat super quickly and be asking for more. She also won't eat treats which she previously loved.

She's so sleepy and low energy as well she's just stretched out on our wooden floor. She is enjoying strokes still and purs when we give her attention. Its weird because she was such a vocal active cat before these 5 days, now she's so quiet.

We've tried:
- Different bowl depths and materials
- Boiled chicken
- Different food textures (pate, shredded fillets, jelly, chunks, biscuits... you name it)
- Different brands
- Hand feeding her which does help a bit
- Bought aircon to keep her cool in this heat
- We'll go back to the vet in a few days if nothing works

I know this could be a sign she's giving birth soon, but it seems to be going on for longer than is healthy for her. I'm probbaly over thinking it but I want to make sure I am doing the best for her. So my question is does anyone have any other tips for how to get her to eat? I am really worried about her as I know how important it is for her to be eating and drinking properly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she just feels lousy from end-stage pregnancy. Also, since this is her 3rd pregnancy at not quite 2 years old, she is probably just worn out - poor thing. She’s not had adequate rest between litters.

Since she got fluids at the vet yesterday you should worry a bit less.

Have you tried offering a dish of kitten formula for her to drink? Use the powdered kind and mix it with unflavored Pedialyte instead of water. She needs the extra calcium for nursing anyway.

She’ll feel much better after delivering. So glad you’ve got her now and can see that she is treated well and spayed after her kittens wean.

Do keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello! I am not to this forum and posting on these sort of things in general but wondering if someone can help me.

I adopted a 1yr 11 month unspayed female seal-point Siberian over a month ago. She was with a breeder before and I don't think she was kept in the best circumstances. Since getting her my partner and I have cared for her as well as we can: integrated her slowly to the house, bought her a cat tree and healthy high quality food, and took her to the vet as soon as we could after getting her. She seemed very happy and healthy up until 5 days or so ago.

A week ago we took her to the vet again to get spayed, but after feeling her tummy and then doing a scan the vet told us she's pregnant. Now, she's already had two litters and this is her third, which I know is bad for such a young cat but this current litter is too far along to do anything about, and she got pregnant before we got her (we have kept her indoors since we got her). I do feel really bad for her- this shouldn't have been allowed to happen. Here's where the problems start, for the past 4/5 days she's been super off her food and not drinking as much. We took her to the vet again yesterday who did another full scan of her belly (4 kittens inside!!), blood test, gave her fluid injection, and just a general check all over. The vet said everything is fine and she's not worried about her, and she's very far along- likely to give birth this week. Today we still can't get her to eat properly. She just licks the wet food and nibbles some of the actual meat, and nibbles a few biscuits. Before she would eat super quickly and be asking for more. She also won't eat treats which she previously loved.

She's so sleepy and low energy as well she's just stretched out on our wooden floor. She is enjoying strokes still and purs when we give her attention. Its weird because she was such a vocal active cat before these 5 days, now she's so quiet.

We've tried:
- Different bowl depths and materials
- Boiled chicken
- Different food textures (pate, shredded fillets, jelly, chunks, biscuits... you name it)
- Different brands
- Hand feeding her which does help a bit
- Bought aircon to keep her cool in this heat
- We'll go back to the vet in a few days if nothing works

I know this could be a sign she's giving birth soon, but it seems to be going on for longer than is healthy for her. I'm probbaly over thinking it but I want to make sure I am doing the best for her. So my question is does anyone have any other tips for how to get her to eat? I am really worried about her as I know how important it is for her to be eating and drinking properly.
I think you should try to entice her with hand feeding; let her lick off your fingers perhaps. Sometimes it does the trick.
Warm up the food some, so it gets more smelly; and helps to entice the appetite.
Give her in first hand whatever she fancy to get her going on eating; the nourishing values is second hand here.

You can also "forcefeed" a little; ie give fluids with a syringe...
The breeder of our first resident, did so with his mom, ("our grandmom") whom the last years of her life, didnt wanted to drink anything. but did accept forcefeeding with fluids... Once forced, she drank willingly... But they had to do it several times a day. And was kept in a ok health at least a full year before her time was out...
Easiest if hubby holds her, and you give her this syringe feeding.... Or vice versa. Its easier with two helping out.

You can use goats milk, which is always a good supplement, and also OK emergency kmr, Goats milk is also cheaper than kmr.
You can of course use kmr proper as suggested above.... Whichever you find easier.....

Or you can give a mixed out watery slush of some high quality cat food or baby food.

As water you can use pedialyte, best is flavorless pedialyte for babies. This contains some glucose sugar, so its somewhat nourishing too.

Last edited: