Healthy weight for 4month female shorthair?

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Charlie Roo, our new family member. She is four months old and a shorthair. I think she weighs about four pounds but she looks so thin I’m wondering what a healthy weight is for a cat of her age? Maybe I just am used to our other, slightly pudgy cat. Also, when we adopted her from the shelter her tail appeared to have been cut off partly. The people at the shelter said it was like that when they received her, any ideas what happened and if it will affect her at all? it seems healed it’s just a bit stumpy now :(
I tried my best to get good pictures but she just does not sit still!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a perfectly good weight for her age. The rule of thumb for kittens is about a pound per month. However, kittens vary in size and growth rate. Males are often bigger than that, and it's normal for females to be a bit smaller.

Her tail looks like it has healed well, I don't think she should have any trouble with that.

Her color would be described as blue classic tabby and white. She's a lovely kitten :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a perfectly good weight for her age. The rule of thumb for kittens is about a pound per month. However, kittens vary in size and growth rate. Males are often bigger than that, and it's normal for females to be a bit smaller.

Her tail looks like it has healed well, I don't think she should have any trouble with that.

Her color would be described as blue classic tabby and white. She's a lovely kitten :)
thank you, that’s very good to know! She is just gorgeous and so incredibly sweet, I cannot believe that she was not adopted before now. The people at the shelter said she had moved around many times without ever being adopted :( but luckily I think she will fit in just fine here!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a body condition chart for cats that might help set your mind at ease. Looking down from above is a pretty good way to tell whether a cat is at a healthy weight, so it's great that you included that picture of your cat. If you look at the chart you'll see that healthy cats in good weight look flat along their sides from above, like Charlie Roo. Overweight cats bulge out a lot on the sides, and underweight cats look gaunt and bony with a narrower "waist."

It's normal for young cats to be relatively gangly and slender, and this is just fine if they aren't gaunt and bony.

It's great that you were able to adopt her, she does look very sweet :)

Body+condition+score+chart+cats.png