Healthy Male Cat Dying Days after Neutering

Sav.ish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, created this account /post to get some answers from fellow cat owners. Here is my story…

My one year old cat (CJ) who is healthy and up to date on all his vaccines; had got neutered Monday dec 19th. Vet said he was doing great with the recovery and he can come up Tuesday dec 20th. He was sent home wit medication that was pre-measured in syringes. We pick him up he acts normal, devours a bowl of food and some treats. We give him his meds (he pukes). The next following days he doesn’t eat only drinks water. He hides under our bed, sink, and in the closet where his litter box is. During these days he is using the restroom. Saturday dec 24th he is coming around a little more. He sat at his window he loves (almost fell trying to jump) we figured it was be a he hasn’t eaten still and is weak. Sunday dec 25th he is still distant, and not eating food. Everything online said it will take male cats anywhere from 48 hrs- 2 weeks to recover from surgery so we didn’t think anything of it. Monday dec 26. I wake up to CJ laying near the from door meowing in this crying like sound. I call the vet they tell me to give him yogurt or rice to get him to eat. As I go to pick him up he is limp and very fragile and lifeless. I get an appointment to take him to the very at 3pm the same day. We take him and the vet says it looks like he had a stroke or nerve damage. And that it’s not common for 1 year old cats to have a stroke that maybe he got into something at home. I don’t know how he could have ingested something toxic when he wasn’t eating his food nor anything we gave him so why all of a sudden would he eat something? Also there wasn’t anything toxic around him we have another pet so our house is very pet proof. Once he’s at the vet his temperature is a degree off along with his eyes not following the light how they were supposed too. The vet send us home insuring they will take care of him and give him meds and a heating pad to try and get him feeling better. We get a call about 3 hours later saying he passed away… Has anyone went through this? or know about this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sav.ish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also he was puking everyday after he came home. Puke was a yellow ish or white color.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We get a call about 3 hours later saying he passed away… Has anyone went through this? or know about this?
I'm so
IMG_3272.GIF
to hear this :alright:. I, too have no idea what has gone wrong.

When you are ready, maybe you want to pay a tribute to CJ and you may do so here in Crossing the Bridge

1672112837941.png
1672112808718.png

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess a stroke is possible. Sometimes kitties have underlying issues that only show up during surgeries, illness, stress or anesthesia. They appear healthy but there can be things like blood clots or even genetic weaknesses that we cannot see. If there was something like parvo or liver issues, no one knew yet. Unseen conditions are always a shock. It is a relatively simple surgery. For females it is much more invasive. I am so very, very sorry! You can certainly ask the vet for more information. Our hearts are with you. :confused::grouphug2:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. I am so very sorry this happened. If it was just a routine male cat neuter, he should have been fine the next day. Was it the vet that said it could take a week or one of his staff?

Cats can have underlying heart disease that you don’t know about unless an echocardiogram is done, which is not a routine test. Was he able to urinate the entire time? Do you know the name of the pain medicine?

Nothing will bring him back, but asking that a necropsy be done might give some answers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sav.ish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow. I am so very sorry this happened. If it was just a routine male cat neuter, he should have been fine the next day. Was it the vet that said it could take a week or one of his staff?

Cats can have underlying heart disease that you don’t know about unless an echocardiogram is done, which is not a routine test. Was he able to urinate the entire time? Do you know the name of the pain medicine?

Nothing will bring him back, but asking that a necropsy be done might give some answers.

Hi thanx for replying! the pain medicine is Buprenorphine. The staff were the ones who said it could take 2 weeks for him to return back to normal after his surgery.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Buprenorphine is a good pain medication. I would think there would have to be an internal issue that surfaced. I cannot imagine how it could be related to the neuter, of course anything is possible.

Have you spoken directly to the vet since this happened?

You could also ask them for a copy of your records and look through them. But nothing will bring him back. I am so sorry.