Health issue after birth

Progna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat hasn't been pooping or peeing after giving birth for the first time. She is eating and drinking just fine,but not leaving for using the litter. it has been over 72 hours and I am worrie. Is it normal?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat hasn't been pooping or peeing after giving birth for the first time. She is eating and drinking just fine,but not leaving for using the litter. it has been over 72 hours and I am worrie. Is it normal?
Its possible she doesnt want to leave for eliminate, not to leave the kittens alone in the litter. Being a very good momma.
She is perhaps worried by some potential danger??

Also, they usually empty the bowels before delivery, and some pee perhaps during the delivery....

Still, 72 hours is long...

How is it, does she trust you? Does she wants you near? If so, try to be her stand in; be with the kittens so she has time and peace of time to go and relieve herself...
Also, I presume the litter is nearby?

If you think she is constipated, you can add some coldpressed olive oil or rapeseed oil to her food... Cant hurt, as coldpressed olive or rapeseed oil is good nourishment by itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Progna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She trusts me, she often mews in agitation for my attention and calms down when I'm near. I'm feeding her plenty of soup along with solid. She is literally the boss now. She even calls out if she cant position the babies. But still she doesn’t come out. And the litter is near too. I kept it fresh. I'm worried because her temperature raised a bit.
I'll try the oil then,lets hope for the best. thank you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The temp raised, above the normal, or above that she had when delivering (which is lower than normal). IF higher than normal, it may be alarming!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Progna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little higher than normal. But I think she might just be Alright now. She came out,walked around. She at least peed a little.