Healed from vomiting, Hill's KD Mobility with E.A.T.

Esther 1967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi to all you dear people who know what it is like to suffer with a sick cat.

This is surely the go to site for anything relating to cats. Thank you for all the valuable information. I hope the following account of my recent experience with a vomiting, 13 year old, cat will be of benefit to you and your cats.

~My little Tinky, a 13 year old tabby had his dental and 2 extractions and vacs 10 days ago. (He gets his teeth brushed most nights, I don't know who hates it more, me or him, lol).
~The vet also recommended Hill's KD food.
~He was fine for the first 5 days afterwards, but then started vomiting about 2-3 times a day for 3 days...

(Tinky is an only pet, has free access in and outdoors (my garden has a safety fence), gets fed 4 x wet food meals a day and free Hill's pellets. (He had a bladder problem about 6 years ago and ever since then I started feeding him the 4 x wet food meals with added spring water).

He is in a routine and has the option of indoor and outdoor toilets. I do like to monitor to make sure that at least once a day he does both number 1 and 2 if at all possible).

~After 2 days of vomiting about 1-3 times a day I really started getting worried. I kept praying and feeding him small amounts of wet food with added water to keep him hydrated and nourished at the same time, held off feeding for about 1.5 hours after vomiting to let the reflex subside etc.

~Thursday afternoon when I came back from town I noticed he had vomited quite a bit, and decided to phone the vet and ask for a prescription for Cerenia. I was loathe to take him to the vet again and didn't want to subject him to all kinds of horrors. He was at least still eating and toileting as usual.

~It so happened that there had been 2 huge accidents blocking the highways as well as alternate routes backed up, so there was no way to get Tinky to the vet and also no way to get the Cerenia.

~I knew my only hope was to go to the Lord Jesus Christ and look to Him to get us through.
~At 4am on Friday when he again jumped down from my bed and started vomiting, I really prayed not knowing what plan of action I should take.
~I waited till about 6am and decided to cut our his wet food, give him small amounts the Hill's KD pellets mixed with his usual Hill's Mature Adult pellets in a teaspoon of spring water.
~Well he ate this enthusiastically, that Enhanced Appetite Trigger is all it promises!
~I kept this up ever 3 hours.

I have of course increased the amounts to where he is now having 4 x meals of pellets with 15ml of water each time, and free access to a small quantity of dry pellets. I don't want him eating too many too fast due to the E.A.T.

In conclusion, I am so grateful to the Lord, to this site where I read about awful side effects from Cerenia which mercifully was literally impossible for me to get my hands on due to the roads being blocked, and to Hill's for making such a good food that has restored Tinky to good health! Oh and I was thinking again, thank the Lord he had his 2 rotten teeth removed in order to be able to crunch pellets! No more wet food. Here in SA we have a very limited selection in any event. Tinky has not vomited from 4am on Friday to now, 10:30 pm Sunday. Praise the Lord!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad he's feeling better. Just have to ask though... was he diagnosed with kidney disease, is that why your Vet put him on the Hills K/D? I honestly would have blamed the vomiting on this new food, but guess it wasn't that :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Esther 1967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad he's feeling better. Just have to ask though... was he diagnosed with kidney disease, is that why your Vet put him on the Hills K/D? I honestly would have blamed the vomiting on this new food, but guess it wasn't that :dunno:
The vet didn't say directly, just recommended the KD.
I also thought the introduction of the KD was the cause of vomiting and immediately left it out and only gave the wet food and some of his Mature Adult pellets.
The vomiting continued and even though I strongly believe in wet food, and have been feeding him the same wet food for years, I started to suspect it because I was giving him only little wet food and water meals and these he vomited. Could have been a bad batch, but because he is loving the pellets in spring water and doing so well on them I am not going to chance it.