He Wants To Get Stuck?

Leosmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy Leo is about 2 1/2 years old. For the most part I’m very lucky and he doesn’t have many bad habits. However recently he discovered he can fit behind the dresser. Unfortunately, the room my boyfriend and I live in is relatively and oddly shaped to be honest. So because of this we have our two dressers side by side against the wall and there is a space behind the taller one because of the slanted ceiling. After he got stuck back there three times, each time my boyfriend had to save him by pulling the dresser out and getting him, I plugged up the opening. Now Leo has decided that every morning at 5 am he likes to scratch at the stuff I have stacked up in front of the space to get behind the dresser. I assume he is angry that I took away his new hidey spot, but I’m terrified he’ll get back there and be without food water or a litter box during the night or during the day while I’m at work. How can I stop him from scratching at that spot and waking us up every morning before we both go nuts?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just pull the dresser out a hair and let him go behind it. Extremely unlikely he could really get stuck even without moving it but this will for sure give him room and will end his obsession.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS! :wave2: I wonder if he saw a fly or bug there, and that's why he's obsessed with trying to get into that tiny space.

I think I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 and Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 that if there's space, that it would be best to pull the out so if he manages to unplug the opening while you're out of the house, he wouldn't get stuck. Hopefully once he get over his fascination with that space, you can re-plug it.

The only other suggestion would be to keep him out of the bedroom at night, and when you're out of the house, though that might just start another habit - him scratching at the bedroom door trying to come in.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only other suggestion would be to keep him out of the bedroom at night, and when you're out of the house, though that might just start another habit - him scratching at the bedroom door trying to come in.
And let's not forget singing Cat Opera at the top of his lungs All. Night. Long.