Having 3 or more cats?

callmecatherine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I've never experienced life with more than two cats. What is it like having 3 or more? Especially if you're single, like I am.

Are you closely bonded with all of them? Is the housekeeping for them overwhelming? Have you ever had to pack up all three at once and bring them somewhere by yourself? I'm sure it's worth any trouble but I'm just trying to imagine what that is like.

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 in house cats. I’m also single. It’s easy enough. No more housekeeping than usual. Never, and they’re all my babies. As long as you’re the one home most of the time, you’re the one they’ll get attached to.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve mostly had three throughout my life although I have only one now. I’ve loved them all equally although my bond was a bit different with each because they had different personalities. And I moved with two or three to a different state more than once. It certainly would be easier with one, but you do what you gotta do to keep them safe and as stress free as possible when you travel with them.

Litter and food more expensive, of course, although not that bad. But the biggest difference is vet bills. It really adds up to a lot these days. I was fortunate that I could afford it, though, and I wouldn’t change a thing. It feels so odd to have only Mocha now, but as I’ve aged, I’ve become concerned that I might leave a cat or cats homeless. So as painful as it is, at this point, Mocha is it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The most cats we had at once were four but I was not single. Actually my spouse was bonded to two of them and I was bonded to the other two so it balanced the work out. We loved all four, they each had unique personalities and very different habits. We never had to take all of them with us because if we went on a trip our next door neighbor watched them. All four were indoor cats so we didn't have to worry about outdoor dangers either. If they went to the vet we never took more than two at a time.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The most I've ever had at one time is 4, my own two and then my mother's 2 when she went into assisted living. As Tobermory Tobermory mentioned, food, litter and vet costs are increased the more cats you have.

I was the primary care giver of all the cats though the BF fed them early in AM and gave them cuddles when they needed them. None of my cats were ever cuddle buddies with each other and just lived their lives as they wanted.

I don't travel so I'm always home for the cats. When I was still working, the cats were home alone during my long work shift hours though I was lucky the BF worked a different shift for a few of those years.