Has Labor Stopped? Should I Worry?

Stace123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone.
Small bit of background info to avoid the backlash of backyard breeding ☺
I took in two sister cats about 6/7 weeks ago from a rather unpleasant lady who had animals as babies because they were cute. My girls had reached approx 7 months looked adult so we're no longer wanted! Took them straight away to be spayed. Daisy... no problems all done so no babies from her, however.... naughty little Poppy was already pregnant!!! Upon questioning the vet it came to light she was far enough gone that the unborn kittens, should they be aborted, would need to be euthanised. This didn't sit well with me so I kept her pregnancy. Daisy was spayed that day and poppy has her spay paid for. I'm just waiting for her to have kittens and wean them etc so I can book her date.

So.... this takes us to where we are now.

7.10am yesterday our very quiet and non vocal cat started meowing and purring and pacing! Stage 1 labor being my presumption. Lost what I think was the mucus plug last night approx 9pm. Left her overnight. Woke up this morning to a quiet cat again!! Still affectionate and wanting belly rubs but not purring or seeming distressed. Still looking for hidey spots but just seems normal.

How long do I wait before worrying? Should I be expecting kittens soon? Any help and advice would be grateful guys.

I have had animals all my life but always spay and neuter so I have never had a live birth. I bred chickens for showing and meat so I have hatched and raised but that's a TOTALLY DIFFERENT experience. I'm so worried about her. in such a small amount of time she and I have become very bonded and now I feel like I'm waiting for my daughter to have my grandchildren.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could have been some precontractions. Humans have them too, Braxton? Hicks contractions? If she is OK no troubles, you can wait and see.

Its difficult to know the delivery day, esp if you dont have a good count. When did you began to feel the kittens move? Its usually 2-3 weeks before the delivery.

Ah, you have IR heating lamps for the hatching chickens? These are sometimes useful for small kittens too, esp for the prematures or very weak.

I suspect if a late abortion was OK for you, you could have aborted when you were to the vet. Kittens unlike humans dont manage very premature deliveries, 4-5 days before is maximum to have a survival chance. So late abortions when you just begin to feel the kittens move is unpleasant, and most wont do it, but may be done if its not literally days before expected delivery. No euthanasia is needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stace123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou for your reply so quickly.
The vet estimated her as 5 weeks gone already and could feel movements. I had kept them in a few weeks to settle before I took them as they were both petrified and shake. I must say it's lovely to see how happy and settled they now are. It can't be easy having such a destructive start to life. The house was filthy and stinky full of so many animals. I reported to rspca upon leaving it was that bad!
Since writing this (almost as if to prove a point) she had another discharged or red stringy mucus where as last night's was more yellowy tinged? She appears to be straining a little. I just want to do the best by her.

Also please be aware I have already found forever homes for a potential 6 little ones (would rather have too many homes than not enough) all are people I know and trust so I know these babies will be cared for and not end up as more unwanted pets. I hate that I am adding to the ever growing population but my conscience just would let me abort a baby over half way developed. Some people may think it's crueler to allow them to be born but I assure you these will not end up being sold to Tom dick and Harry at £20 a pop.

I'm so excited to see if they look like her though!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm with you. I would not terminate beyond the halfway point.

It sounds like she was having prelabor yesterday, and now the real thing.

That is normal discharge that occurs.

How is she now? Any contractions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stace123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was definitely the real thing! 4 little kittens happily snuggled up with mum. She did so well I'm very proud of her! 2 gingers a tortie and a black and white. I think 3 male 1 female but I'm not sure as I have never sewed kittens before