Has anyones cat stopped growing and is still the size of a kitten??

MinnyGrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a calico tabby named Cleo, shes 8 months old and seems to have stopped growing. Shes still the size of a kittens. And the reason I think shes stopped growing is because shes been the same size for about a month or 2.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that it might be just temporary. My boy Kumi started out as a small kitten and it took him 2 years to reach his final big size. If I remember correctly 2 years old is the age, when they stop developing in size. I have 2 girls and they very small so it's also possible that your Cleo will not get much bigger than she is right now.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello there! Welcome to TCS! New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You! – TheCatSite Articles
I think that's normal. My previous tabby was very petite. My current kitten, Willow, is also about 8 months old and is still fairly petite. If you are very concerned, I would talk to your vet. How much does she weigh?
Im sure people with more experience will soon come and give you more detailed, better advice, but for now, I wouldn't worry too much :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MinnyGrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe she weighs 4 lbs. Last time she was at the vet she only weighed a couple pounds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MinnyGrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shes just so small, the vet classified her sister Minny as petite tabby, she stopped growing at 1 year, and we adopted her at a year and a half, she weighs 6.5 lbs

nightowls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats took 2 years to develop. Most rapid growth was in their first 6 months. After 1 year, their body starts to fill out (their teenage year).

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother used to have a pair of littermates, a girl and a boy. The girl stopped growing at about eight months. She was otherwise healthy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, as long as everything else is normal, eating, drinking, and using the litterbox, everything most likely is normal. If she was not limited on her food intake and allowed to eat as much as she wanted when she wanted (as kittens under a year old are supposed to be fed) it is most likely genetic.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's still young so I wouldn't say she's done growing with any certainty. It's not nonstop growth but adult cats do tend to fill out some at 1-2 years old. It sounds like she'll be smaller and that her family line is too so that's not unexpected at all, just like some people are taller or shorter, cats range quite a bit. She's within the norm for a female cat and I wouldn't be concerned or think it odd at all.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with all the above members, as long as she's healthy and up to date on her vet checks that's the most important thing. It's like my dad used to tell me, "good things come in small packages." :biggrin:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of females who are 6 and 7 pounds. That's well within normal range. If she stays 4 pounds that's a bit unusual but not a cause for concern if she's healthy.