Has anyone tried fecal microbiota transplant capsules?

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has had three antibiotics in four months and may need a fourth. I can tell that his stomach is upsetting him and probiotics made his vomit. Has anyone tried FMT? What were your results? Are there any side effects?

Are these likely to cause the same issues that probiotics have in the past? (Nausea and UTI)

I've read that some vets do it but can't find any in my area. Is it a common procedure? I'd love to hear from anyone whose tried FMT capsules or the procedure!

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may actually be one of the proper uses of FMT in that hopefully the source of the imbalance (the antibiotics) will wrap up soon. As long as he is taking the antibiotics, I would not try to supplement with probiotics or poobiotics (what I call the FMT capsules.) Something you can give to help him out while he is taking antibiotics is s. boulardii. I would give this to him about 1/4 capsule twice a day.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056GCLVO/?tag=thecatsite

While that itself won't help rebuild his gut, it will help keep the bad actors that are spared by antibiotics in check. Many of those bad actors function by attacking the gut wall. S. boulardii (and MOS and why I recommend the Jarrow brand) have a structure similar to the gut wall. It works like a decoy gut to attract those bad actors and flush them out with his poop. Because s. boulardii does not colonize the gut like bacterial probiotics, you'll have to maintain a steady state in his gut for it to be effective. Twice a day dosing should do this. You can give s. boulardii alongside the antibiotics because it is yeast based and won't be killed off by the antibiotics. You can and should continue giving him the s. boulardii after he finishes the antibiotics to scavenge any bad populations that were allowed to flourish in the absence of competition from the good actors killed by the antibiotics.

The only real way I could judge whether FMT was working for Betty was whether it was helping or hurting her appetite. Her poops have always been fine and she's only ever had hairballs. In this respect, I have found s. boulardii as supportive of Betty's appetite as the FMT pills.

Maybe start him on the s. boulardii and keep him on it while he's taking antibiotics and for at least a month or two after to help with the clean up. I would only consider FMT after he's done with antibiotics. Otherwise the next course of antibiotics will simply torch any progress you may have made with FMT.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may actually be one of the proper uses of FMT in that hopefully the source of the imbalance (the antibiotics) will wrap up soon. As long as he is taking the antibiotics, I would not try to supplement with probiotics or poobiotics (what I call the FMT capsules.) Something you can give to help him out while he is taking antibiotics is s. boulardii. I would give this to him about 1/4 capsule twice a day.
Amazon.com

While that itself won't help rebuild his gut, it will help keep the bad actors that are spared by antibiotics in check. Many of those bad actors function by attacking the gut wall. S. boulardii (and MOS and why I recommend the Jarrow brand) have a structure similar to the gut wall. It works like a decoy gut to attract those bad actors and flush them out with his poop. Because s. boulardii does not colonize the gut like bacterial probiotics, you'll have to maintain a steady state in his gut for it to be effective. Twice a day dosing should do this. You can give s. boulardii alongside the antibiotics because it is yeast based and won't be killed off by the antibiotics. You can and should continue giving him the s. boulardii after he finishes the antibiotics to scavenge any bad populations that were allowed to flourish in the absence of competition from the good actors killed by the antibiotics.

The only real way I could judge whether FMT was working for Betty was whether it was helping or hurting her appetite. Her poops have always been fine and she's only ever had hairballs. In this respect, I have found s. boulardii as supportive of Betty's appetite as the FMT pills.

Maybe start him on the s. boulardii and keep him on it while he's taking antibiotics and for at least a month or two after to help with the clean up. I would only consider FMT after he's done with antibiotics. Otherwise the next course of antibiotics will simply torch any progress you may have made with FMT.
Thank you for the help! He started his fourth antibiotic today and I'm very nervous about what it's going to do to his already poor gut. I've already tried probiotics three times in the past and they all make him throw up. The last probiotic I gave him was Fera organics and seems to be the source of the UTI he currently has. It contained S. Boulardii. Even fortiflora makes him sick which I assumed was about as weak as probiotics get. I'm hesitant to give him anything at this point after the Fera probiotic made him so much worse, but I'm also desperate to help him feel better.