Has anyone stayed at the Hershey Lodge?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a huge chocolate lover and my mom wants to see the Amish country. If we have the opportunity to go, should we splurge and stay at the Hershey Lodge, or just stay at a nearby hotel and visit Hershey?

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ohh I LOVE Hershey!! In fact I have been going every year sincei Was a kid. We never stayed so i can't answer about the Hershey lodge. BUT I do know its really expensive. I am taking my orchestra to a compeition at Hershey in May and I looked into it but it was just too expensive so what we are doing is staying at the Marriott Springhill Suites that is super close to the park (I think its acutally across the street from the auto museum) because it was a MUCH better rate. BUT then again I am also taking 65 students and a bunch of chaperones. But the Hershey lodge looks awesome...someday I will stay there!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We stayed there for the weekend when my son was married. I've gone to several seminars there for my job, too. It's really nice. But it's expensive. So it depends on how much you want to spend.

May I make a suggestion? Instead of spending the money on the Lodge, perhaps you could check out some bed-and-breakfasts in the area instead. There are some lovely ones and staying in a B & B might not be as expensive as the Lodge. We prefer staying at a B & B instead of a motel whenever we can. It's nicer and you get the ambiance of the place (as well as an outstanding breakfast!).

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

We stayed there for the weekend when my son was married. I've gone to several seminars there for my job, too. It's really nice. But it's expensive. So it depends on how much you want to spend.

May I make a suggestion? Instead of spending the money on the Lodge, perhaps you could check out some bed-and-breakfasts in the area instead. There are some lovely ones and staying in a B & B might not be as expensive as the Lodge. We prefer staying at a B & B instead of a motel whenever we can. It's nicer and you get the ambiance of the place (as well as an outstanding breakfast!).
I agree with Winchester about the B&B's. There are a ton of nice places in that area! Plus the less your spending on your lodging the more you have for a ginormous Hershey bar.....*Feel free to drop one off at my house Im only an hour or so away..LOL J/K*

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are some very good B&B's in the area. (We lived in Hamburg for 3 years about 30 years ago.)

If you get a chance, ask for directions to someplace that serves Amish "family-style" meals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses. We would probably be going with a tour group, so unfortunately we wouldn't be able to stay at a B & B. But they do offer a few different trips to Hershey and the Amish country (which all include a meal in an Amish home
). It's just that the one with accomodations at the Hershey Lodge costs so much more than the others. Goodness, we could take a cruise at that price. But I think the Hershey trip would make both my mom and I happy (chocolate for me, Amish country for her....
). There is a trip where we could stay at a Sheraton in a nearby PA town for less and see most of the same attractions, but now I've got that darn Lodge saved to my favorites on the computer.