Has anyone had bunion surgery?

lunatuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had bunion surgery in March and according to my doctor 3 weeks ago I am 100% healed and free to wear any shoes I want and no activity restrictions. Unfortunately I still have pain when I walk more then a couple of blocks. Walking my dogs up and down a steep hill early last week hurt really bad and today we went to the aquarium and by the time we were done there I could hardly walk to the car. Honestly, how long does it take to recover? I only wear what I think are considered sensible shoes. I was wearing tennis shoes on my walk and today I was wearing a sporty type sandal. I wear flats at work and rarely flip flops when I'm on a short trip.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had bunion surgery about 35 years ago. I had a terrific surgeon and no scar to speak of unless you really, really look closely.

I was in a cast from the middle of my big toe to my instep and when the cast came off I had to wear sandals or a special "old lady's" shoe in a larger size for a couple months, did not need any orthotics or inserts in my shoes. It actually took almost a full year for me not to have some sort of discomfort which is what my doctor told me and I heal very quickly.

After that, I had no troubles at all, can wear and still wear high heels and chic shoes.

Thus you have my experience.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Bunion surgery last year, I was in a cast for a couple of weeks and it took my toe at least six weeks to be completly pain free, but then, that's just me.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pain is nature's way of saying, "Stop that!"

Seriously -- three weeks seems awfully soon to be treating your feet as if nothing ever happened. Maybe you need to stick to soft, squishy shoes and limit your walking for awhile. Hope you feel better soon!