Has anyone had a bad experience with fortiflora?

Tubby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 12yo cat with a multitude of gastrointestinal issues. She has been taking a sachet of fortiflora every day now for 12 months. She has had her ups and downs throughout this period but has generally been good. Over the last week, I ran out of fortiflora. She has now gone four days without receiving any. But she has been really, really good in this period - she is eating more than usual and her body language is a little better too. Before this 3/4 day period, when she was receiving fortiflora, she had been eating well, just not as well as she has been over the last 3/4 days

I'm hesitant to blame fortiflora, as it is not unusual for my cat to have random ups and downs. This three/four day period where she's been doing really good could be random. Also, she really likes the taste of fortiflora, so it's certainly not the case that it's putting her off her food.

So, *could* it be possible that fortiflora is having a negative effect on her? Has anyone seen this before? Is it even possible? Because as far as I'm aware probiotics shouldn't have had side effects.

Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. FortiFlora isn't really much of a probiotic, more of a flavor enhancer than anything else. Nonetheless, I used FortiFlora for a long while with my cat and she loved it, but it fell out of favor and she really is no longer into it. I think repetitive use, such as you have done, tends to cause a cat to tire of it. I think that is probably what you are experiencing.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
FortiFlora isn't really much of a probiotic, more of a flavor enhancer than anything else. Nonetheless, I used FortiFlora for a long while with my cat and she loved it, but it fell out of favor and she really is no longer into it. I think repetitive use, such as you have done, tends to cause a cat to tire of it. I think that is probably what you are experiencing.
I agree with everything the above member posted. :agree: I have only used FortiFlora when our cats, past or present, had a digestive issue and lost their appetite. It definitely helped but then again I do not use it daily. And I agree that it is more of a flavor enhancer than a probiotic. Just out of curiosity, did your vet recommend using FortiFlora? If so, you may want to discuss an alternative with them to see if it makes a difference. BTW, welcome to TCS! :hellocat:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are many better probiotics than FortiFlora, especially if your kitty has gastro issues. We use s. boulardii and Adored Beat Gut Soothe for my guy. I occasionally will also use a little bit of Culturelle, which really helps him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tubby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with everything the above member posted. :agree: I have only used FortiFlora when our cats, past or present, had a digestive issue and lost their appetite. It definitely helped but then again I do not use it daily. And I agree that it is more of a flavor enhancer than a probiotic. Just out of curiosity, did your vet recommend using FortiFlora? If so, you may want to discuss an alternative with them to see if it makes a difference. BTW, welcome to TCS! :hellocat:
Yes, it was recommended by my vet. It is good to know that it's more of a flavour enhancer than probiotic as it gives me scope to experiment by adding/removing it from her diet - I had kind of viewed it as medicine!

Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tubby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are many better probiotics than FortiFlora, especially if your kitty has gastro issues. We use s. boulardii and Adored Beat Gut Soothe for my guy. I occasionally will also use a little bit of Culturelle, which really helps him.
I will check these out. Thank you