Has anyone ever had to get two PU surgeries

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat toulouse had the PU surgery 8 or 9 years ago and he has had frequent urinary tract infections and cystitis since then. at least once a year he will have bloody urine and ill have to take him in to get seen. today i took him into his normal vet and the doctor said that he had been dribbling pee and blood since i dropped him off and that there was some bacteria in the urine and that his bladder looked extremely angry. he told me the medication he would send me home with and said i need to keep an eye out for toulouse not being able to pass urine. he told me the PU surgery is not a permanent fix and that it buys time but eventually the urethra begins to scar up again. he said ‘at that point you either have to get the PU surgery again or… thats just the end of the line.’ hearing this was really shocking to me because it was the first time a vet told me that the PU surgery isnt permanent and hearing the ‘end of the line’ kind of sent me into a panic. i will do whatever i have to for this cat. whatever is best for him. but i dont know what that is. that surgery is rough and recovery is extremely rough and stressful too and idk he is already
so prone to stress. and his bladder im sure has a ton of scar tissue from the almost decades worth of dealing with these issues. anyone else have similar experiences

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have heard of several cats who had a second surgery, and who have done very well with it. At least three of them are in their late teens, so nearing the end of their natural life span. Take heart, This is NOT necessarily the end of the line. EVERY cat is different, and you just can't make a blanket statement like that.