Has anyone done the latest Apple security update?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The other day I heard there was an important 15.6.1 security update for Apple devices, e.g. iPhone, Macs and iPad. Have you done the update and/or had any problems? It's my understanding that sometimes there are glitches so I generally wait a bit before doing the updates to avoid potential problems. Thanks for your input.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The other day I heard there was an important 15.6.1 security update for Apple devices, e.g. iPhone, Macs and iPad. Have you done the update and/or had any problems? It's my understanding that sometimes there are glitches so I generally wait a bit before doing the updates to avoid potential problems. Thanks for your input.
I updated my iPad Pro last night. No problems. I recommend doing it asap - our university IT department sent out an urgent message (on the weekend) encouraging everyone to do so.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My iPad is still on 15.5, and I'm reluctant to take it any further. It will mean uninstalling a couple of the programs I depend on to make room for the download, then re-installing them afterwards, losing all my saved data in the process.

I do have the ability to put things on a flash drive and then read it on the iPad from the flash drive; does anyone know whether I can download the upgrade that way? It would make things much easier.

Margret

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I read several articles exhorting us to do it now, and why, so I wasted no time. Whenever humans are involved, there is a potential for glitches; in this instance, the need was great so I went ahead.

IDK, Margret Margret ; hoping someone will see your post and help you soon. daftcat75 daftcat75 can you give any feedback on that?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My iPad is still on 15.5, and I'm reluctant to take it any further. It will mean uninstalling a couple of the programs I depend on to make room for the download, then re-installing them afterwards, losing all my saved data in the process.

I do have the ability to put things on a flash drive and then read it on the iPad from the flash drive; does anyone know whether I can download the upgrade that way? It would make things much easier.

Margret
I just pay .99/mo for extra storage.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went online and looked for the correct file to download. I found the website where Apple says all versions of 15.6.1 are available and went down the list. "IPad Air," "iPad Mini," "iPad Pro," "iPad 6," etc.. But a simple iPad? Not there. 6th generation iPad? Nothing. Model number? I guess that would be too obvious. Totally frustrating.

So I checked out how to do a total backup to iCloud (and how to restore from backup) and then did a manual backup. As soon as it was finished I told the iPad to install the update, and waited for it to tell me there wasn't enough available memory for the download, and this time it didn't happen! I guess that the necessary download was smaller because I already had 15.5 installed. The whole installation took around 30 minutes, probably because my wifi is slow.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just pay .99/mo for extra storage.
No, it needs internal storage to download the necessary files. The problem wasn't with the amount of iCloud storage available; it has to do with how much RAM is physically available on the iPad and the size of the programs and their data that are installed on the device.

Margret