Harness Recommendations For Flying/airport Security? And Other Cross Country Flying Tips?

tsalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In a slightly nerve-wracking turn of events, we will be moving across the country from Brooklyn to Oregon in a month, and I am already nervous about how Jack will deal with it (also me but that's another story!). The likely situation is that we will leave him with a trusted friend for a week or two while we drive out, then my husband will fly back to get Jack, who will travel in the cabin. I know we will have to remove Jack from his carrier to go through security and consequently, it's recommended for him to be in a harness/leash. Any particular types better or worse? Or any other tips, besides getting him used to the harness in advance? I've read some older threads about flying but was looking for any more thoughts as I'm kind of freaking out.

Some background and related questions: Jack is a soft lovey goofy guy BUT has had two bouts of idiopathic cystitis and is on amitryptline to manage it, so I am extra worried about him getting stressed. Oh and he hates being picked up! Oh, and car rides. It will be a half hour car ride to the airport, then security at JFK (always a pleasure for everyone), then a 5-6 hour flight and then a connection to a 40-minute flight after that. How do we deal with the lack of a litter box? He eats only wet food and thus doesn't really drink water...should we give him any kind of food or drink during the travel time? Should we ask the vet for any drugs or is that dangerous? Perhaps I will need a sedative instead? LOL/sigh. Anyway, sorry for the rambling. Any advice or reassurances most welcome. Thank you!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask your vet for some sedatives. Hopefully there will be something that will be okay to use with his regular meds. If I recall correctly, most airlines require health certificates for travel anyway, so you can talk to the vet about your options then.

You say he will be traveling in the cabin? That's great! What kind of carrier? I'd be concerned if you were going for one of those "under the seat" carriers; for a long trip, I'd want something that will allow him to move around. A larger carrier may require the purchase of an extra seat... check with the airline for their policies on pet travel.

To avoid messes while en route, I think you could get away with fasting him for the trip (talk to your vet)... maybe just a few treats to keep him calmed. I'd have some baby wipes and plastic baggies just in case, though. I dunno if there is such a thing as kitty diapers? or maybe lay down a "wee pad" in the carrier for possible accidents.

Be prepared to coddle him into eating when you get to your destination, as stress will probably put him off his appetite. Have some extra tempting things on hand like unflavored tuna-in-a-pack, or maybe some ham & cheese (lunchable pack?) to top with his regular food.

It's been nearly 20 years since I had to fly with my cats, so I'm sure things (airline policies/security) have changed quite a bit. We had a "short" trip, in that we were only going from WA to NV, but it took longer due to a layover in SF. I remember that the sedatives wore off more quickly for one of our cats, and I had to dose her again at the layover (ask your vet how long they should last to time dosages). It was pretty stressful for all of us, but we got through it. I understand you're worried about the stress factor, maybe a calming collar would also be beneficial.