Happy Droolers And Cats That Spit On You To Say "i Love You"...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious...

I've talked to others outside this forum that say they have cats that are "happy droolers", and will drool/drop spit when happy.
One of our little girls is 4 and only drools if she's in my lap, and it's the stringy type of drool you might see out of a Mastiff type dog. She only drools when she purrs and she's kneading my arm, leg, face, and staring into my eyes as though I were her kitten.
Her last check up showed nothing but great teeth, no signs of dental problems, gum problems, etc. Her teeth are beautiful, her gums are pink and ridiculously tight and she has no problem with us handling her mouth.
But the drool!!!!!! She gets in my lap, kneads all over, stares at me while doing so and purrs loudly while drops of bliss-spit falls into my lap. I work from home by trade so she's used to my being here almost constantly, but a recent project had me away from home for 10-12 hours a day. She gave me the cold shoulder the first few nights, but after that the drooling was crazier than ever.
She is extremely oriented to us. She's aloof with new people for about 30 minutes, then comes out and makes an appearance. To regular visitors, she initiates contact after a few visits. With us, she's like a lap dog and is hilariously stubborn about lap time and quite adorable about being so insistent about it.
She was spayed at 9 months. She has a group of toys that she treats like kittens and will deliver them at my feet no matter what her mood...then climbs into my lap while I work, purrs, spits all over me, lets the drool go like she's an English Mastiff and purrs her heart out.

Does anyone else have a cat that drops spit or drool when they're happy? I asked our vet, she wasn't worried as (like I said) her dental health is excellent. She's done this since kitten hood.

(We found this kitten assuming we would foster and rehome as we have done so many times, but something about this into-everything fearless little turd stole our hearts. When we returned one day from the vet for a routine check up [while she was still a kitten], I wrapped her in a wash cloth like a burrito [purrito] and held her in my lap and we dozed together, her purring and kneading, me sitting in my chair by a large window. She watched the snow and rain pounding the window, happy that she was indoors and warm, dry, safe, and loved and that was the day we forgot the definition of "foster" and realized the definition of "sucker", LOL!)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Only one out of eight cats I have had was a drooler. She was an extra large Siamese and she drooled so much when you pet her that you really wanted to have a towel handy. Same as yours her teeth were fine and she only drooled when she was being petted.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish drools when I brush her, which she loves. Brushing is a daily ritual which she expects (demands) after dinner. I tell her she’s the most brushed short hair cat anywhere. It puts her in a state of euphoria.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ailish drools when I brush her, which she loves. Brushing is a daily ritual which she expects (demands) after dinner. I tell her she’s the most brushed short hair cat anywhere. It puts her in a state of euphoria.
I'm glad ours isn't the only one!!
It's usually a drip drool but occasionally it's this long strand thing. Two nights ago she had a strand of happy drool about 4 inches long hanging from her mouth and stuck to her chest. So gross yet endearing!
She's a medium coat type, not long or feathered but not smooth; plush kind of, and she goes INSANE when she sees a brush. She butts others out of her road and if I'm working on someone else she bulls her way into my lap and spits in it until I brush or comb her. She'll lay on her back so I can comb her chest/belly area, doesn't care if I trim nails or comb legs, etc. I back-brush/comb her tail to look like a pipe cleaner. I'm easily amused.
I kind of wish she didn't do this but if she's healthy and her teeth are good and she's happy, I say bring on the spit.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Delilah is a huge happy drooler! I hadn't encountered that before in cats and when I first brought her home I was so confused when her catnip toys were all wet after she'd rolled around with them! She also drools when she is laying on top of me. (She does not like laps, but she loves to lay on you as soon as you lie down.) Of course she likes to bring her face as close to mine as she can. The best is when she's dripping with drool and decides now is the perfect time to shake, flinging saliva everywhere! But the more drool the happier she is so it's nice in a weird gross way.

The vet also says she has excellent teeth, so maybe all that saliva production helps keep them clean!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Delilah is a huge happy drooler! I hadn't encountered that before in cats and when I first brought her home I was so confused when her catnip toys were all wet after she'd rolled around with them! She also drools when she is laying on top of me. (She does not like laps, but she loves to lay on you as soon as you lie down.) Of course she likes to bring her face as close to mine as she can. The best is when she's dripping with drool and decides now is the perfect time to shake, flinging saliva everywhere! But the more drool the happier she is so it's nice in a weird gross way.

The vet also says she has excellent teeth, so maybe all that saliva production helps keep them clean!
Oh, don't you love the spit flying when they shake their head? LOL!!
Mine lays on me when I read, inches closer to my face until she's about 6 inches away, then stares and drools. It's really funny; freaks people out!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie is 14 years old.. He has had several teeth removed. He is a drooler, and a Purrer...
I love him, just as he is..

To me, drooling while purring, kneading, on my lap ~~~ is a sign of love.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie is 14 years old.. He has had several teeth removed. He is a drooler, and a Purrer...
I love him, just as he is..

To me, drooling while purring, kneading, on my lap ~~~ is a sign of love.
Our drools only while purring and/or kneading, and is almost always accompanied by a gaze. Not a stare, not a bright eyed look, but this gaze. :hearthrob: