Happy Cinco de Mayo!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
:woo:

Let's talk Mexican food. Do you like it? Do you like margaritas? How about Mexican beer?

I :heart2: Mexican food. I also love margaritas, but not the syrupy frozen kind. I don't like any beer.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Love Mexican food!

Surprisingly, not a lot of good Mexican restaurants around in NYC. You'd think there would be, but nope.  Not in NJ either. The closest one which isn't just a cookie cutter Americanized version is at least 1/2 hour from home.  We have one up the block from us which is deplorable. Gets awful reviews everywhere and yet somehow manages to stay in business. 

I don't make it at home too much because Tom likes some of it but can live without it.  

I like regular Margaritas, over ice with salt.  Not a fan of Mexican beer - they are a bit too light for my tastes.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Love Mexican. Just love Mexican. 

There was a great Mexican place in our area and several of us at work used to go in often for dinner. Sadly the place closed down and reopened elsewhere. 

But another Mexican restaurant opened there and they're pretty good, too. They applied for a liquor license, but don't have it yet, so I can't say anything about their margaritas. But as soon as they get their license, we're all going back again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Surprisingly, not a lot of good Mexican restaurants around in NYC. You'd think there would be, but nope.  
That's really surprising! There's a few good authentic ones in Providence.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know!

I'm sure more uptown you can find them, Bronx, etc. but in mid-town or lower Manhattan where I work, few and far between.  When I lived downtown some years ago, I remember there being one tiny mom and pop kind of place which was authentic. My ex and I used to go there a lot but, I think that they disappeared after 9/11. Many smaller businesses just could not make a come back after that.  

What we do have a lot of is Indian food. Really, really wonderful Indian food.  One of the towns near where we live has a large Indian population and there's block fulls of great food. A lot of really good Thai also.  So, I guess that kind of makes up for the lack of (good) Mexican choices.  I'd prefer not to eat it if it's just generically prepared.

Last edited: