Happy B. C. Day/N. B. Day/Saskatchewan Day/Heritage Day/Natal Day/Emancipation Day!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right back at ya

I still have to babysit today so no holiday for me but hubby is sure enjoying his sleeping in this morning

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about a brief explanation of each of those holidays for those of us who don't live in Canada? A little education about our neighbors sure couldn't hurt!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in Ontario so this explains our provincial holiday and below that is more info regarding the holiday across Canada.

"Do you know why the first Monday of August is a holiday in Ontario? If you answered no, you're not alone. Most people simply associate it with having an extra day away from the office.

And although that alone could be enough of a reason to celebrate, the true meaning behind the holiday is to honour John Graves Simcoe, the first Lieutenant Governor of Ontario (then known as Upper Canada). He was also the founder of the Historic Fort York, the birthplace of modern Toronto. "

Many Canadian provinces and territories have a civic holiday to celebrate some aspect of their culture or history on the first Monday of August.

The first Monday of August is a holiday for people in many parts of Canada. It is a statutory holiday in some provinces and territories but in others it has another legal status. It is often called the "August Holiday", "Civic Holiday", "Provincial Day", or other local names.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I did NOT know that!

We have holidays here in the U.S. that many Americans don't know the meaning of. Not surprising, when you know how many Americans can't get the Civil War in the right century, can't tell you who we got independence from, or tell you who attacked us at Pear Harbor.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not a stat holiday here (in Ontario) so where I work is open, I was scheduled, but my boss told me on Saturday - YOU CANNOT WORK ON MONDAY! It's fine with me, because Monday is supposed to be my guaranteed day off but my manager scheduled me because he didn't want to work, lol. None of the fulltimers are supposed to be working today because it's too expensive for the company - we still get holiday pay for today even though it's not stat. I was fine with it, although it would have been nice to get double time and a half for 8 hours of work...

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like bonus days off
Heritage Day here in Alberta.....but here I am, toiling away in the lab lol....ok, not toiling away and will be leaving to head home around lunch time!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget Yorkshire Day!!

My BF is from West Yorkshire, and since he flew to Chicago this morning for a conference, he made a nice big Yorkshire Day dinner yesterday for us and a friend, he made a tri tip roast thing, I made some veggie meat thing for me, and he made the mashed potatoes, veggies, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. We finished off with some Samuel Smith beers.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

It's not a stat holiday here (in Ontario) so where I work is open, I was scheduled, but my boss told me on Saturday - YOU CANNOT WORK ON MONDAY! It's fine with me, because Monday is supposed to be my guaranteed day off but my manager scheduled me because he didn't want to work, lol. None of the fulltimers are supposed to be working today because it's too expensive for the company - we still get holiday pay for today even though it's not stat. I was fine with it, although it would have been nice to get double time and a half for 8 hours of work...
Although it is not recognized as a statutory holiday in the Employment Standards Act, 2000, the first Monday in August is observed as a civic holiday in many Ontario municipalities.