Hand reared kitten pooping milk!

ChrisC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m in desperate need to help, my16 day old kitten hasn’t been putting on weight for the past 3 days and has now started pooping milk formula. It’s just not being digested.
She’s on KMR formula (1:2) and stopped taking milk from mum 5 days ago.
I have tried the bottle and syringe but she refuses so have started tube feeding without issue…she purrs and is quite happy but in the last day she has started to cry a bit more and her tummy is gurgling and she’s started pooping what looks like milk formula. Something isn’t right and I really need help…it’s 03.45 in the morning and my vet (emergency) has no suggestion…she can’t continue like this - help please 🙏

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m in desperate need to help, my16 day old kitten hasn’t been putting on weight for the past 3 days and has now started pooping milk formula. It’s just not being digested.
She’s on KMR formula (1:2) and stopped taking milk from mum 5 days ago.
I have tried the bottle and syringe but she refuses so have started tube feeding without issue…she purrs and is quite happy but in the last day she has started to cry a bit more and her tummy is gurgling and she’s started pooping what looks like milk formula. Something isn’t right and I really need help…it’s 03.45 in the morning and my vet (emergency) has no suggestion…she can’t continue like this - help please 🙏
Ouch.
Two suggestions to try with.
1. Change the KMR to goats milk, in the hope its easier digestible. Preferably raw goats milk.
Otherwise, a kmr based on goats milk. GNC is such a one, but I know there are other brands too.

2. Let his system take a rest by giving him just pedialyte (unflavored for human babies) for say, 2 days.
The glucose sugar in pedialyte will keep him alive. He wont grow on this, but he will live on it.
And hopefully the inflammation in his intestines will heal during the time.

If you cant get such a pedialyte, you can try to make your own. If you have glucose sugar proper, good, but otherwise, you will use some white caro syrup, some minerale kitchen salt, and water...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. Using this last line defence, giving just pedialyte, you can of course add some other way to give extra glucose sugar; feks giving now and then a droplet of white caro sugar on the gum, inside of the lip.

One forumite used cocoa oil in such situations. (coldpressed organic style).
I have never tried this nor heard others use this in such a situation, and thus I dont dare to swear if this is ok with infants, but it could work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChrisC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for taking the time to reply…I shall try pedialyte as suggested for a day and see how she goes. I’ll have to order the other bits in as I’m not near shops.
Shes a fighter so I don’t want to let her down by not trying everything possible. Her last “explosion” was more mustard coloured rather than water with milky curdled lumps…so I’m hopeful 🙏🐾

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChrisC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, good news…it’s seems to be working.
I’m doing 1.5ml of pedialyte and 3.5 ml of kmr (so 4ml every 2hrs) I know she’s 17 days old but she’s only 230g which is why I worried so much.
Her poop isn’t as involuntary as I was and it’s changed to the mustard colour and looks like it’s starting to thicken up, albeit early stages.

I will update you when I have more news but I’m definitely not feeling as panicked as I was in the middle of the night! 😻