halloween

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister's having a Halloween party at her house so all of my family and friends will be going there tonight.
The plan is for everyone to bring a dish and have a pot luck dinner, dress up, and watch scarry movies.

Jack is going as an Amish guy (and omg he's been working on the beard since May
) Tomorrow he gets rid of the beard!!!

If I can find cheap enough stuff at Goodwill or another thrift store, my plan is to go as the corpse bride (from Tim Burton's "The Corpse Bride" movie.)

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im pathetic..Im not a huge Halloween fan one because of all the scary movies and I always end up having nightmares if I watch them..2 I dont like scary holidays they freak me out! So my decorations consist of getting ready for Christmas. I already got my lights hung up outside (did that yesterday) they arent much but they decorate the front of my house and around my bay window. And I got my table topper tree up..Im supposed to wait till closer to Thanksgiving to put the big tree up but Ill probably do it sooner because Im the type of person who decorates for Christmas in November and doesnt take anything down till after New Years!! **Yet I cant manage to get my shopping done till the week of Christmas..Hmmm Im a weirdo**

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyclipper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i get scared watching horror movies too. when i do watch, i need to watch with someone, i can't stand to watch alone

i'm a scaredy cat!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OKay, here 2 pictures of 2 differents Altars

on my FIL home...

And has a keeper!...

my office...

more close

how see the decoration and a costumer paying...

thanks for look!

tyclipper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the pictures!
i have been waiting for them

what a cute keeper you have there

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to have some halloween snacks and watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show...I love that movie. About 15 years ago I attended a Midnight Screening of it for Halloween in Toronto. It was such a blast and everyone had such a super time..

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try to insert some pics here; bear with me, I'm new at this

This light up witch is in my backyard, those are pumpkin lights in front of her.
[/IMG]

This is part of my front porch; I love this scary guy.
[/IMG]

This is part of my front yard. That's a grim reaper I made, surrounded by tombstones.
[/IMG]

tyclipper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
those are wonderful pics! they're scary!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for sharing that tradition, Rigel. I think I was aware that your customs were different from the US and Canada, but I could not have said in what way. Your pics are great and that site is full of interesting stuff.

For us, Hallowe'en is somewhat low-key, simply because there aren't many kids in our neighbourhood. If we get a dozen, that's a good year. But we do, nonetheless, prepare for Trick or Treaters. We'll have some treats for them -- things that we won't mind having leftover to eat up.
And we'll have a pumpkin on the steps to greet them. "Jack" is on the kitchen table warming up, and will be carved in a little while. Other than that, it's life as usual here.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going on a haunted walk of Ottawa. Apparently the old jail is haunted and there are some great stories that are true! I am excited!

Then we are coming home to watch Rocky Horror Picture Show...I LOVE that movie!

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing those pics Coolcat! I love looking at different types of altars, I have seen some that are huge with sooo much stuff on it!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also enjoyed the pics of the different altars, very interesting! Being a former Wiccan and still Pagan, I love seeing how people set up their altars and for what reasons and what beliefs and traditions. I think the Mexican Day of The Dead is just fabulous, I love the reverance yet enjoyment of it, the perfect balance to life/death if you ask me!
So what is my Pagan self doing this very Pagan day, not much, lol. I am spending it quitely at home watching an NCIS marathon at the moment. I dont know what I will do later, may do some crystal ball gazing, but I really don't have the environment set up here for it to be proper, and don't know if I want to. I feel like I should be doing SOMETHING to celebrate the day, but I never really resonated with Haloween as a spirutal holiday, though it is a big holiday for Pagans and considered the start of New Year, my heart is in the Winter Solstace as the turning of the wheel.
I did go downtown to run errands today though, and caught a bit of the begining of the costumed crazyness (and sadly, often very dangerous from what I have heard) celebration in Downtown Madison called "Freakfest"
Best I saw costume wise, and made me laugh, a giant bannana walking a Rotweiller wearing a pink tutu and sort of a leotard. Well behaved Rottie, good thing!
Edit: The Rotie was in the tutu/leotard, not the bannana.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trillcat, I consider myself a Wiccan/Pagan as well; like you I love the winter solstice. I also feel that I should be doing something more tonight. I've got a fire ready to be lit in my chimenea (I'm sure I spelled that wrong); when I'm sure all the kids have gone home to stuff their little faces with candy I'll go light it and just enjoy the darkness and my fire. I'll say a few prayers for my loved ones that are gone, and just bask in the glow of the moon.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those pictures were fantastic Rigel. Likewise, Libby.

A very quiet Halloween is now over in NZ and welcome to November. Both Mum, Nana & I didn't get any Trick or Treaters. At either of our houses. *shrugs*

Mum had 10 lollipops, I had nothing and Nana had a dead plant that she won yesterday at a cat show - so it was probably for the best.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another pagan here doing a very, very lowkey Halloween. Like you guys, I really see the Winter Solstice as being more important than Samhain (pronounced sau-en), but then again I don't go too much with the Gaelic/Celtic rites (I feel a closer affinity with the Egyptians
).

Anywhooo (hoo! hoo!)

I actually went in to work for a couple hours today, finished up a computer build/setup. Came back well in time for the first trick or treater, in our estimation. Based on last year when we almost ran out, even getting into our "backup" (i.e. personal stash) candy when we did have probably over 100 kids show up, we spent close to $30 on candy. We were ready for Halloween on Saturday! Went down to start waiting for kids at 4:30 (thinking the little ones would be out early). 5:30. 6:30. Almost 7:00 we finally got our first group of kids. Kinda busy for about an hour, a few stragglers after that. All but two little groups were accompanied by parents and fairly large groups. Far cry from when I was a kid and the whole neighborhood would be full of kids in costume going door to door, with all the parents staying home handing out the candy (except for the little ones, who could barely walk and had their parents taking them to their closer neighbors early). Probably had around 35 or so kids, so a LOT of leftover candy. Didn't have to refill the bowl even once (had to refill 3 times last year).

Cutest costume: Little one as a fuzzy white puppy with a black nose and one black ear. Most creative: Cereal Killer with a milk mustache, spoons with cereal glued to them, and drips of milk with bits of cereal down his front.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuneBugBear07

Thanks for sharing those pics Coolcat! I love looking at different types of altars, I have seen some that are huge with sooo much stuff on it!
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Those pictures were fantastic Rigel. Likewise, Libby
Thank you for your nice comments Girls!..

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Forgot to say...

Dia de los Muertos is one of the neatest holidays! It's so wonderful that you celebrate those who have passed, honor their memories, and yet don't turn it into a sad day. I wish we had a holiday like that!

The altars are all beautiful, Rigel.
And of course, I especially like the keeper at your FIL's.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Forgot to say...

Dia de los Muertos is one of the neatest holidays! It's so wonderful that you celebrate those who have passed, honor their memories, and yet don't turn it into a sad day. I wish we had a holiday like that!

The altars are all beautiful, Rigel.
And of course, I especially like the keeper at your FIL's
awww Heidi thank you for your nice words!...

Is the Cat of my FIL....
his name is Mopi.....
....is a cute cat!...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We set a record! Not. One. Kid. Not one. My first any only "goblin" was Rob when he came in from his walk and downstairs, munching on a Peanut Butter Cup. Oh, Well.