Hairball food recs?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, all. I need a recommendation for a canned food that helps hairballs. I see Hills makes one but it has carageenan..a NO for me. Please, no dry food suggestions..to me, if a kitty vomits hairballs...and in Mittens' case, does not drink a lot ...dry food is contraindicated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try going down a more simple route - give Mittens a dab of butter/margarine a couple times a week. Even mixing a few drops of olive oil in each meal every day might just be enough.

And, I trust you already brush Mittens daily, that helps a lot to remove hair and therefore reduce some much hair from being ingested.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're feeding wet food, try adding a bit of plain canned pumpkin. Could be that kitty is also intolerant of one of the ingredients causing the throwing up. I have one who doesn't do well with any kind of fish.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Egg yolk and egg yolk lecithin works great to prevent hairballs.

:yeah:

Just adding something extra daily will help with hairballs. You don't need a hairball specific food. Egg yolk lecithin in a powder you can mix into any canned food or treat.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I don't think there's a canned food that helps, even though they keep making it. Egg yolk lecithin and brushing is my go-to.
I'm looking at making my own as it's really expensive in Australia, but it's a real carry-on. Easy if you can buy it as cats seem to love it.