Hair loss around mouth

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have a 4-5 month old kitten who has started to lose hair on one side of her mouth. This has been going on for at least 3 weeks— at first I thought she had gotten scratched in play by another kitten but the spot has gotten progressively larger. There seems to be some brown discoloration on the skin as well.

She has had regular flea and worming treatments so I don’t think it’s parasites. She is not excessively grooming, itching or stressed. I thought it could be a food allergy, but she has been on the same food for the past 2 months.

Any thoughts on what is causing it and how to treat it? She has a vet appointment in a few days but I am traveling at the moment and the language barriers have proven difficult— especially with medical stuff. Thank you in advance!

DDC9F860-067E-4845-A8E7-E7AC314021C0.jpeg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When she is at the vet point it out to them.

If you aren't already doing this, feed and give water only in stainless steel or porcelain bowls and dishes. Feed cat food on a flat plate. Make sure to wash food and water bowls daily in hot water.

Some cats can develop a bit of dermatitis from plastic dishes. I am not saying this is what it is, but it could be. Still point it out to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When she is at the vet point it out to them.

If you aren't already doing this, feed and give water only in stainless steel or porcelain bowls and dishes. Feed cat food on a flat plate. Make sure to wash food and water bowls daily in hot water.

Some cats can develop a bit of dermatitis from plastic dishes. I am not saying this is what it is, but it could be. Still point it out to the vet.
Thank you! I have been feeding her on a flat porcelain plate but her water dish is plastic, I’ll definitely change that asap