Gypsy - Possibly A Chantilly-tiffany?

gypsycat228

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my wonderful (possibly chantilly) cat found me in spring 2012. coworkers found a litter of tiny kittens (about 4 weeks old) abandoned during a thunderstorm and about to drown in a ditch...a bunch of us took turns bottle feeding and then we all agreed to take one. I always just assumed she was a domestic longhair until i came across an old poster of cat breeds at a vet office. when i saw the chantilly i said "oh wow, that's Gypsy!" Doing some research, I saw they were thought to be extinct, but obviously this can't be true. She also has a twin brother, who is now slightly more cocoa brown in color and double her size (not fat, just has that large feral size to him). Gypsy is black except for the telltale 4-5 strands of white hair at her chest and slightly brownish cocoa at her roots if you look in good lighting. she also had strands of white at her abdomen, but the white never grew back after that area was shaved during her spay. Her eyes are almost always green, except for when she is being feisty!! none of the other kittens in the litter look anything like Gypsy and her twin. (all short haired in different colors and patterns). She has spoiled me. I will never get a short haired regular tabby again. (sorry tabby lovers, but I am smitten with this breed) ;) She is the best cat I have ever had behaviorally. Loving, cuddly, attentive and incredibly smart. The only issue I have is she will try to eat any plant I bring inside. which stinks, because my two favorite things in the world are cats and plants. She even loves being at the vet! Now that I know the rarity of the breed, kind of wishing I had let her have a litter or two when she was younger.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy sounds like a lovely black domestic longhair! It's perfectly normal for black longhaired cats to have a brownish or grayish tone to the undercoat; this doesn't indicate any specific breed ancestry. Most cats are not any particular breed.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all, my wonderful (possibly chantilly) cat found me in spring 2012. coworkers found a litter of tiny kittens (about 4 weeks old) abandoned during a thunderstorm and about to drown in a ditch...a bunch of us took turns bottle feeding and then we all agreed to take one. I always just assumed she was a domestic longhair until i came across an old poster of cat breeds at a vet office. when i saw the chantilly i said "oh wow, that's Gypsy!" Doing some research, I saw they were thought to be extinct, but obviously this can't be true. She also has a twin brother, who is now slightly more cocoa brown in color and double her size (not fat, just has that large feral size to him). Gypsy is black except for the telltale 4-5 strands of white hair at her chest and slightly brownish cocoa at her roots if you look in good lighting. she also had strands of white at her abdomen, but the white never grew back after that area was shaved during her spay. Her eyes are almost always green, except for when she is being feisty!! none of the other kittens in the litter look anything like Gypsy and her twin. (all short haired in different colors and patterns). She has spoiled me. I will never get a short haired regular tabby again. (sorry tabby lovers, but I am smitten with this breed) ;) She is the best cat I have ever had behaviorally. Loving, cuddly, attentive and incredibly smart. The only issue I have is she will try to eat any plant I bring inside. which stinks, because my two favorite things in the world are cats and plants. She even loves being at the vet! Now that I know the rarity of the breed, kind of wishing I had let her have a litter or two when she was younger.
She sounds so sweet! She may be a nice lookalike to a Chantilly-Tiffany cat, but that breed is, unfortunately extinct as of 2015, when the last female Chantilly-Tiffany, Acey, was spayed.

Chantilly-Tiffany - Wikipedia

If you post a picture of Gypsy, we can help you figure out the best way to describe her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gypsycat228

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well she was born in 2012, so three years before the extinction. i will try to get a better pic, but this all i have on me right now

Attachments

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well she was born in 2012, so three years before the extinction. i will try to get a better pic, but this all i have on me right now
She's not a Chantilly-Tiffany; the fact that the breed is extinct now and that it was close to being extinct when your cat was born means that it's essentially impossible for your kitty to be one.

That doesn't make her any less special, though!

WheresmyChantilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm.. I know I don't care what breed these are for titles sake but I wish there was a way to find them. Because I have a number of other cats, and worked in shelters, and have never came across the personality like my Marley, which also fit the typical personality description of a CT.

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm.. I know I don't care what breed these are for titles sake but I wish there was a way to find them. Because I have a number of other cats, and worked in shelters, and have never came across the personality like my Marley, which also fit the typical personality description of a CT.
There's no specific personality for any cat, breed or no breed. People like to make assumptions but it really comes down to how well a kitten is raised/socialized.

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gypsy sounds like a lovely black domestic longhair! It's perfectly normal for black longhaired cats to have a brownish or grayish tone to the undercoat; this doesn't indicate any specific breed ancestry. Most cats are not any particular breed.
The eyes on that cat are beautiful! I’m sorry, just had to say something.