Guess what I saw in my garden tonight?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a hummingbird! Nope! It's a hummingbird moth:

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/hummingbird_moth.htm

I've read about these; they're often mistaken for hummingbirds, as they resemble them and drink from the same feeders and flowers.  I've never seen one before; mine is prettier than the photos; it's a bit darker olive green.  We watched it on the butterfly bush, drinking the nectar from the flowers. The wings beat and hum just like a hummingbird's, and the coloring is very similar; it even has the rounded tailfeather tips that female Ruby-Throats have.  From a distance, I could see how someone would mistake it for a hummingbird!

As it's classification name has the word "Thysbe" in it, and Thisbe is a Greek girl's name, I've named it Thisbe--even though I have no idea what its gender is!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooo! I've had the pleasure of their company before. Always in the evening. They really like nightblooming flowers. (Nicotiana, four o'clocks and such!) Not a very common sight though, you're so lucky that you got to see it!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a few here last year. I thought we had little baby hummingbirds at first until I saw the antennae. They loved MIL's Butterfly bush and three or four would be flying around it during the day. We couldn't figure out what they were, so I just googled "Hummingbirds with antenna" and found them. I just loved them but haven't seen them yet this year.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the early spring when I had peas growing in my garden, I often saw one or more resting and feasting.  They are lovely!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's extraordinary! I've never heard of those before, and would be thrilled if one visited my little garden (hopefully I'd see it before the cats did!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We have another one!  I haven't had a chance to see if Thisbee came back, as I've been very busy around the house, but just now, there's a more yellow-rust-colored moth on the butterfly bush! It's fun to watch them extract nectar; they move fast, like bees, but a much larger and easier to see.

You know, if I hadn't had the hummingbird experience last summer, after Mom died, I may never have seen one of these moths.  We moved the bird-feeding operation from the back of the house, to the front, in order to keep the hummingbirds coming back, and also so I could see them.  It was a smart move--the cats LOVE it, as the garden is under the bay window, and so do we.  There's constant activity.