Growling Towards Recently Neutered Male

BrowniesMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In addition to my two indoor furbabies, we have 2 barn cats on our property (they technically "belong" to the landlord and a horse boarder, but we are the primary caregivers for both cats).

Yesterday we took Chocolate, approx 7 months old male, to the clinic and had him neutered. We did not take the other cat, Seven, as well because he belongs to the boarder and we were advised by our landlord to leave him along until she takes him in herself (she was supposed to take Seven in every week for the last 4 weeks and keeps flaking on the her appointments).

Chocolate came home last night and is recovering well so far. This morning, although Seven and Chocolate have always gotten along well before (sharing food, cuddling with each other, pair grooming, etc.) Seven was growling at Chocolate every time he came near him, even though Chocolate was acting business as usual. In addition, Seven was aggressive and growling towards me when we put his food out this morning, which he has never done before. Normally Seven is very cuddly, he always jumps up on our laps and wants to be petted and held.

So my question is, is it likely that Seven is showing aggression towards Chocolate because he is now neutered? If so, is there any chance the aggression will stop in the future, or will the only thing that changes it having Seven neutered as well? It just breaks my heart because Chocolate is such a social nice cat and now that he's back from the vet his buddy is being mean to him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's pretty common when one cat goes to the vet and the other cat doesn't. He still smells like vet/antiseptic. Try rubbing a towel on Seven and then rubbing it on Chocolate, or give them both some tuna and rub a bit of tuna juice on both of their faces. . .whatever it takes to make them smell the same again. The matter usually improves within 3 days or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BrowniesMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I'm so glad to hear that there's hope they might be back to normal in a few days! Right now Chocolate has a ecollar on as well, would that make a difference do you think?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's pretty common when one cat goes to the vet and the other cat doesn't. He still smells like vet/antiseptic. Try rubbing a towel on Seven and then rubbing it on Chocolate, or give them both some tuna and rub a bit of tuna juice on both of their faces. . .whatever it takes to make them smell the same again. The matter usually improves within 3 days or so.
:yeah: We even have a new article about this behavior:
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats