Grinding noise for otherwise healthy allergy prone cat

Craigary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
Our 5 year old deaf cat has food allergies that we’ve gotten under control with hypoallergenic RX food that’s worked well (she’s now on royal canin venison). Last year she started making grinding noises while eating to the point where we took her to the vet, they did a battery of tests, and the one thing they found was a resorpted tooth which they ended up extracting ($1000 later...) but otherwise her health checked out, no pancreatitis or any other worrisome ailments. She was good for awhile and then the grinding started up again.
Then we discovered she had a bad flea allergy which was causing some of her allergy issues and when we put her (and our other cats) on cheristin flea medicine she started doing better again.

now the grinding is back (and of course it sounds horrific). She still eats her normal amount of food and seems otherwise healthy. Loathing yet another trip to the vet (especially right now). Any ideas? Is it now just a bad habit? Anything else I can give her?
Last trip to vet early this year they said her teeth looked fine. Been trying to brush teeth too. If nothing else the horrible sound early in the morning after she ate is torture, but more worried she’s uncomfortable. If anyone has advice or suggestions I’d love it. Harmony the cat would love it too!
A09C5CC6-DC42-4D2D-87BE-EB662955D0D2.jpeg

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might still have (new) dental problems. Try giving more dental care with brushing, no-brush tooth gels, dental toys.Unfortunately some problems like gingivitis seem to be just genetic sometimes and even full mouth extraction doesn't always cure the problem. :-(

Does this happen after eating pate texture food? Sometimes my Hima makes that sound because the food has sticked to her gum line. I let her eat dry food between her wet food meals, or a piece of boiled turkey, or give a dental treat.

But really, if it's gum disease I found no-brush tooth gels to be the most effective. I think they kill bad bacteria a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Craigary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Good advice. We did recently get an oral/tooth gel for all the cats which they don’t mind if I put it on a finger. So I’ll keep using that on her and see if it starts to provide relief. The vet in January did scan her teeth and gums and didn’t see anything stand out as worrisome, but can certainly take her back soon To see if anything new. Only our youngest cat had signs of tartar lol She mostly eats dry food, unlike our other two cats, due to both her allergies and pickiness (she generally hasn’t liked the canned hypoallergenic food). Wish she likes it more actually since the moisture from Canned food supposedly helps clean their teeth more than dry. Getting her a new chew toy too.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is a similar thread on teeth grinding: Cat grinding teeth

Is your little one having any other symptoms of anything? Loss of appetite, drooling, etc? Those go along with mouth issues when they get pretty bad (along with the grinding sometimes). I have a cat who is prone to resorption and I haven't noticed any grinding, but he definitely has less appetite right now (his appointment to get his dental was delayed due to Covid) and does drool more than usual.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Craigary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks much! Will check out the other thread. She hasn't shown a loss of appetite, still eating away. The grinding happens around eating mind you but she's still eating the normal amount. No drooling other than one purr and drool moment while on me ;) But I'm gonna try brushing wth the gel more often and see if that helps her. Thanks and hope your kitty is okay!