Grieving Cat/new Behavioral Issues

Fancythat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm new here. A bit about the fur-parents...
I live in a single-story home (under 1000 sq ft) with my husband and two adult roommates. We moved here just under a year ago. I'm gone 40 hours a week and hubby is a homemaker so he spends a lot more time with the cats. Our roommates don't interact with the cats much (except for one which decided one of our cats is his dog) When we moved in we had three cats.
A bit about the fur-babies...
Noodle is a giant weirdo and doesn't know how to "cat" and is scared of literally everything. He tends to hind in the litter box which unfortunately means eye infections we need to deal with often. He forgets to clean himself most of the time.
Finkerdink is an energetic, young-at-heart trouble-maker. He enjoys being brushed (he's a longhair) but tends to get mats. He doesn't tolerate it well when I deal with those mats.
Lil Guy is calm and collected and desperately in love with hubby.
The issue...
All three cats were 11 years old and have been together most of their lives. Lil Guy passed away a month ago. It was an unexpected medical issue. We opted for cremation and made the mistake of not bringing him home first for the other cats to deal with. Finkerdink took this very hard (Noodle doesn't seem to even notice a change in the household). We've looked up information on the feline grieving process and noticed a lot of how he was acting was very much in line with general grieving steps. He still hasn't started playing again but has started eating well and even being excited about food enough to beg while we eat our meals again.
He started peeing wherever he slept. He would just get up, pee, and move to another spot. Again, this falls in line with what we read about. What I don't get is he will get on myself or hubby as he normally would (he's a shoulder cat) but then he'll suddenly get up enough to squat and start peeing...right on us. This has happened once to each of us and nearly happend several other times and we're at a point where we don't trust him NOT to do it and don't want to let him on our laps but realize he needs his attention.
Also, he doesn't have trouble peeing. It's in large quantities and it's not tinged with blood as it would be with bladder stones or a UTI.
So...
TDLR: Has anyone ever had a grieving (or otherwise) cat start peeing on their owner. Why would he start doing this? And how did you get it to stop without denying your cat their snuggles?
Thanks for any insight!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.
:vibes::grouphug2:

I have never dealt with a grieving cat, however much of what you have said sounds like an insecure cat. It is not normal for a cat to lay in their litter box! Your cat might as well be wearing a "help I'm terrified" T-shirt!!! Your cat peeing on you & his bed, makes me wonder if he stressed himself into a U T I? (Urinary Track Infection)

I would take him to the vet to make sure he is Crystal & u.t.i. free. While he is at the vet, if he gets a clean bill of health, I would ask for him to try a mood stabilizer. The only time a cat has urinated on me was when I was holding our cat after she broke her spine and could not control her bladder. Your cats may also be responding to your stress.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Condolences on the loss of Lil Guy. :alright: RIP sweetie. :angel3:

It might be a good idea to take Finkerdink to the vet for a checkup. Or at least call them, tell them what's going on, and see what they suggest.

Possibly you could try Feliway or calming treats. I've never used either, but some members have found one or both helpful.

TCS has several articles, some of which might be helpful. I'll post the links below. Good luck. Hope little Finkerdink is back to normal soon. :crossfingers:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

Do Cats Mourn?

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will not urinate where they sleep unless there is a physical reason or they are too frightened to move. I don’t think that grief would manifest this way. Excessive and frequent urination usually has a physical cause. Bladder infection or diabetes would be at the top of the list. Please have your vet run a senior blood work panel as well as the urinalysis to fully check out his health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fancythat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. As far as the scared kitty goes (Noodle) he has been to the vet and they suggested calming treats which we had before the loss of Lil Guy. This was because he's always vomited more than normal cats. He has a clean bill of health.
As far as Finkerdink goes, we were told by the vet to try those same treats to try to bring his stress level down after the loss. They didn't really help. His next visit will include testing for diabetes and UTIs (though we don't believe this is the issue as we've dealt with UTIs before with another cat).
My husband jokingly suggested he was re-marking us as his but I reminded him that cats mark their humans with their cheeks and foreheads...and he's NEVER peed on us or sprayed us before.
We'll have to work through it for sure, but I was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them. XD
Here's hoping he starts playing again soon too. =^.^=

Fancythat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.
:vibes::grouphug2:

I have never dealt with a grieving cat, however much of what you have said sounds like an insecure cat. It is not normal for a cat to lay in their litter box! Your cat might as well be wearing a "help I'm terrified" T-shirt!!! Your cat peeing on you & his bed, makes me wonder if he stressed himself into a U T I? (Urinary Track Infection)

I would take him to the vet to make sure he is Crystal & u.t.i. free. While he is at the vet, if he gets a clean bill of health, I would ask for him to try a mood stabilizer. The only time a cat has urinated on me was when I was holding our cat after she broke her spine and could not control her bladder. Your cats may also be responding to your stress.
I think you've combines my 2 cats. :p The one afraid of everything (Noodle) is not having litter issues. The one grieving (Finkerdink) is.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Noodle is a giant weirdo and doesn't know how to "cat" and is scared of literally everything. He tends to hind in the litter box" ~ A cat hiding in their litter box all day is not normal. Noodle is extremely terrified & or insecure. A stressed/insecure cat spray paints it's name with urine all over the house. A super stressed/insecure cat hides in their litter box all day. It might be worth re-introducing your cats.
Cat sleeping in the litter box? There's a reason for that
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
Excessive Marking And Stress
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

"He started peeing wherever he slept. He would just get up, pee, and move to another spot."~ Finkerdink ... well either he is crazy stress and just needs mood stabilizers *fingers crossed* or something else is very wrong. The only cat I have ever known that peed on us while we held her or when she relaxed and fell asleep (then would wake up move to a dry spot and go back to sleep) well that cat broke the last vertebrate in her back.
The Pet Parade: Why Does My Cat Urinate When Sleeping?
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Anti-anxiety Medication For Cats

Fancythat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"It might be worth re-introducing your cats."
These two love each other but don't often sleep together anymore. Also, he has been like this since we got him as a kitten.

"either he is crazy stress and just needs mood stabilizers *fingers crossed* or something else is very wrong."
I believe he is stressed with Lil Guy gone. We tried the calming treats as directed by the vet and it didn't seem to help.
I will be reading the article linked about a cat sleeping in the litter though, thanks!