Greetings

Old Grumpy Grouch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this site when it came up on a search. I have a minor problem with my new-to-me cat, she is quite clingy. The replies in the thread were quite enlightening.

Miss Kitti (real original name, huh?) is a spayed female, she's 8 and in great health. She was actually my girlfriend's cat; I was caring for her and Sue's little dog while she was in hospital for what should have been minor surgery, but then she passed away unexpectedly. Her oldest granddaughter took the dog but for various reasons couldn't take Miss Kitti so here I am. I am not new to cats by any means but this would be my first-ever full-time indoor cat. I'm about 3 months in and we're getting along fine except for when I forget to close my bedroom door all the way and she invites herself in for a purring and head-bumping party at about 0200. And some other times she will not leave me alone, if I sit down she's on my lap or at least on the chair/couch arm watching TV with me or watching the laptop screen. She sometimes follows me around relentlessly to the point where I have to be very cautious turning around etc. Other days I hardly see her. So just a typical cat, just a touch on the clingy side. The only other problem I have is that she doesn't seem to like any of the "good" i.e. vet recommended dry foods (she won't touch wet food) but likes cheap stuff like Kit 'N' Kaboodle. And Temptations treats of course. I kind of worry about this but her vet says that she's healthy and it will be fine so I guess I'll stick with that. She weighs 17 pounds so she's definitely not malnourished. She's also BTW a beautiful long hair gray & white with asymetrical facial markings.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. I hope all are having a great weekend!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Condolences on your girlfriend's passing. :alright:I'm glad you were able to give her cat a home. I hope Miss Kitti will be a comfort for you. :catlove:

It sounds like she is a very friendly cat, which is good. Just not so much at 2 AM. Once she's used to your routine and schedule, hopefully she'll sleep all night too.

About her food, keep trying different canned foods and maybe you'll find one she likes. 17 lbs is pretty big. Did the vet think she was a healthy weight?

Since you're a new cat "parent", here's a few TCS articles that might be helpful. Any specific questions you may have, you can start a new thread in one of the other forums. That way it will get more attention, and hopefully, more replies.

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
Cat Behavior For Beginners
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
1E09AECE-D7CC-49D0-B2FE-8FB495AA8D1C.gif
Old Grumpy Grouch and Miss Kitti, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
10CF9AEB-464D-4237-8E8E-92A261FCB431.gif
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Please post photos of Miss Kitti for us to see.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Condolences on your girlfriend, and thank you for taking Miss Kitty in. Everyone here is very kind and helpful, so feel free to jump right in! Hope to see you around.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try Fortiflora on wet food. It’s a probiotics, which will be good for her anyway, but cats love it and she will most likely too. Just sprinkle some on the food and mix it well, then sprinkle some on top of the food for her to lick. I find that if I only sprinkle it on top, Sophie just licks it off and doesn’t actually eat the food. I started adding it to her when she was sick and not eating well. That did the trick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Old Grumpy Grouch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the wonderful replies. Kitti has had an annual visit to her vet for shot updates and checkup since she was a kitten. The vet said she might lose a bit but she isn't concerned. I know this little girl's history -- her mama was a petite all black longhair, her daddy was a long, tall, rangy gray & white shorthair. So she's kind of built like a fireplug, LOL. Big paws, big head, somewhat broad chest, slightly over average length and height. She's got the frame to carry it in other words. Her daddy was quite the character and very friendly, he lived with me for awhile but he loved to roam. Mama was a neighbor's barn cat, older cat who hadn't had kittens in 3 years. I guess Hudson (my name for the daddy) charmed her and she had a litter of 3. One of them was my mother's last cat prior to her passing in 2013, one of her friends took him and I don't know if she still has him or not, nor do I know what became of the third. But Kitti inherited quite a bit of her daddy's personality, and yes she is VERY friendly, and very trusting. Except when it's time for her monthly flea & tick treatment, LOL...I always get about a 24-hour cold-shoulder break when that happens!

The vet told me that so long as she drinks plenty, dry food is somewhat preferable due to possible contamination/spoilage of wet food. I picked up Purina "Gentle" last night, it's supposed to have probiotic fiber and be easily digestible. She went after it like crazy this morning and hasn't had her usual period of pestering me for treats (she knows exactly where they're kept, LOL) so maybe we have a winner. I'll check with the vet tomorrow when they are open and see if she has an opinion of this food. Time will tell. And yes, she loves her water, and will let me know if the bowl is half empty, or if it's stale. She will sometimes sit there and dip her paw in it and then lick it off.

I have some pictures but they're on my tablet and being of the generation where we are sometimes technologically challenged I haven't quite figured out how to get them on the laptop but when I do I will post them. My old flip phone doesn't take good pics anymore, the lens is clouded...I at least knew how to e-mail them to myself from it.

I've had cats and dogs a-plenty in the past. I've never had one get this clingy though, so that's why I posted. I hadn't intended to have any more pets, my last dog died in 2014 and the last cat had to be put down about 3 months later and it just tears the heart out of me. It's like losing a child. But I will make the best of this situation.

Thanks again for the kind replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and Miss Kitty! We're so very glad that you are here, although we hate that it was a personal loss that brought you to us. My heart with yours. LOL, I know what you mean about the food! I, also, harbor a junk-food junkie! Friskies dry and Temptations! All other need not make an appearance!