Greetings!

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My name is Raven, and I recently adopted a cat from a local cat-only shelter where I've been volunteering.  I just got my first job teaching last year, so before that, I was living with my parents working on my education degree (long story as I'm 36).  They have two cats that we got as kittens from my cousin whose cat got pregnant.

Going a year without any cats after having lived with Rose and Ivy was very difficult, so I knew I would be getting one of my own once it was summer (being a teacher doesn't leave much time to get to know a new household member).  I decided to volunteer and pick a cat as I got to know them in that environment.

The shelter itself is an amazing place.  Although I disagree somewhat with their methods for cleaning (they dump everything onto the floors and then clean the floors at the very end -- so there's always litter, poop from various cats, etc. all over the floor while you're trying to work), it's clear they love the cats.  Many of them aren't even in cages and roam all over the large "house."

There were about three cats I was interested in one day, so I asked the owner about them.  One of them was not there at that time, but I remembered her from before.  Two of the cats had problems I wasn't ready to deal with (one was a neutered male who still sprayed and the other was FIV+ and I didn't want to deal with the heartbreak of losing her early).  The other was 8 months old and was about to go back out for adoption that very day.  So, I ended up getting her . . .

Except that she *wasn't* actually the cat I'd been looking at!  I took her home thinking she was a short-haired cat, and her tail was all fluffed out.  I thought she was scared and nervous!  The next day, when I went to volunteer, I saw the cat I'd thought I'd adopted.  Turns out, my cat is actually medium-haired, so she wasn't all scared and nervous (which explained the fact that she was also purring the whole time her tail was fluffed out!).  The lady at the shelter said I could swap her out for the one I'd looked at originally since I was a volunteer, but by then it was too late.  I'm too in love with Iris to give her back now, although I do feel sad for the cat I didn't get.

I'm totally in love with my new cat.  I just wish I could afford another one because I keep finding new cats at the shelter that I'd like to adopt.

That's my new cat story.  As for me, I'm a writer and teacher, and I live alone.  I'm hoping that being away during the school year won't be too much of a problem for Iris.  I don't know how active on this board I will be, but if I have questions or thoughts, I'll be sure to post them!  I've done a lot of book research, but this is the first time I've had my own cat.  I'm looking forward to getting to know people here.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi! I'm sort of new here, too--I needed some support and advice after unexpectedly taking in four 'senior' cats from a friend who died, and trying to integrate them with the three young ones we already have! It's been a rollercoaster but I've got some good advice and ideas from everybody here.

I think it's neat you volunteered at the shelter--I don't think I could do something like that--I'd end up taking home all of them. LOL

Best of luck and hope to 'see you around'.