Granddaughter..allergic reaction to antibiotics?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my grandaughter Mattie Lynn who is 9 years old came down with pneumonia. It wasn't getting any better so the doctor put her on zithromax.

Well, the day she went on that, she started breaking out in a rash and blisters. Took back to dr. he said, well we will give her benedryl and something else to battle the blisters and rash. But I don't think this related to the meds he said.

It just kept spreading. Dr. was seeing her every other day at the office. Her mouth is full of blisters, she looks terrible. Her trunk, neck, everywhere is rash and blisters.

So this afternoon they sent her to the Childrens Hospital. I sure hope they can fix this poor girl up. She only has gone to school 6 days so far and is too sick to do any work that is being sent home!!! My poor daughter, last year it was her son and migraines that was the issue.

So any spare vibes would be appreciated. I hope they get her on fluids as it has hurt her to eat or swallow for over 2 weeks. She has lost 7 lbs.

Thanks guys!!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many vibes that she gets feeling better!

I was taking antibiotics for a tooth and found out I was allergic to penicillin (which I have never been allergic to before) by breaking out in a rash over my entire body. As soon as I got switched onto a different medicine the rash went away. It took about 3 days to completely go away. Wasnt fun!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy COW! That sounds terrible. Could she possibly have Stevens Johnson Syndrome as Zithromax is one of the "baddies" for that? I hope she improves quickly and, sorry, but her doctor....ugh...I don't have the words!

for the little girl!

Cally

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! How terrible!

That certainly does sound like a very severe reaction to the antibiotics!!

Some years ago I was looking after a patient who had very severe rash and blisters all over his body including inside his mouth from an allergic reaction to a medication.

We eventually sent him to a burn ward at another hospital because it was so bad and he needed such specialized care.

He eventually did recover and amazingly enough, without scaring.

I hope your granddaughter feels better soon.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like an allergic reaction, and it's surprising that the doctor didn't take her off the zithromax immediately. Lots of get well for her!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it does prove to definitely be an allergic reaction - that the parents get it in writing, make sure they go after that doctor! How rotten. It wouldn't have been any trouble when it first started to say "You know what, that sounds bad. Lets switch antibiotics just in case". Now the poor child is worse off than she was with just the pneumonia.

I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a terrible experience! I hope she is feeling better soon.

Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How horrible for your DGD! Praying she's feeling better, gets relief from the hives, itching, and blisters, and is well soon!

My husband has an extremely sensitive system regarding medications. In the past month, he's had an allergic reaction to 3 different medications. Each time he was itchy, broke out in a rash, followed by hives, and then his asthma started acting up. Each time he had to do the Benedryl and prednisone thing. However, he can't even take the adult dose of benedryl!
He can only tolerate the children's dose every 8-12 hours and even then, he will sleep most of the following day. Talk about fun! Don't even get me started on what happens when he's in the hospital on narcotic pain killers and drugs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, everyone has some good suggestions and awful experiences!!

She has been diagnosed with.....deep breath....viral infection, staph infection, scabbies and impetigo!! Of course with pneumonia to boot!!

Daughter got her to hospital at about 2pm ish and left at 10 pm. Had to find an all night pharmacy, which was pretty easy up in the city. She is on a new antibiotic and creams for her poor skin. Her blood ox is only 93....ugh.

All she wanted to do is go home to her kitties, Mighty, Beefy and Taco, Timmi, Stan and Cookie and her chicken, Perchy, and dog, Ginger. Don't know about her brother!!

Thanks for all the thoughts and nice words and vibes. It's still pretty early here even tho I texted her about 2 hrs ago in case my daughter was up with her. I will let you know how she is doing.