Grain like tag coming out of cat's belly skin

mrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have found multiples of these things on my cat's belly. I noticed it when rubbing her tummy and was able to quite easily pull two of them out with no reaction or flinching from the cat. Nothing has changed in her behavior and she doesn't seem like she's in any pain. I did a search to see if I could find any more and I found two of them starting to poke out of her skin. I have no idea what this is and haven't been able to find any relevant info. She has a vet appointment coming up but I'm hoping someone has seen this before so I can get an idea of how pricey this will be. She's mostly an indoor cat but gets some daily yard time. It looks like the skin is pushing it out and then the top dries up and becomes very easy to grab and snag out of the skin. There isn't any blood or puss left over once you pull it out. Thoughts?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Could be a form of sebaceous cysts - or essentially clogged pores. If your vet accepts pics, you could send them some and ask what their opinion is. If they think it is clogged pores, they may be able to suggest something for you to clean her belly with to see that would stop them from forming. It is possible you could take some and provide them to the vet's office for a further look - but, you'd have to ask if they would want to see them directly. I have no idea why your cat would be getting them, but I have heard some cats are more prone than others.

Hope other members will come along soon and offer their ideas!

catsu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found the exact same thing on my cat. It looked EXACTLY the same. I pulled it out with a tweezers and brought it to the vet (she said next time, call - because yesterday we took the cat in: both of our cats are suddenly overgrooming leaving bald patches, and one seems to be having an allergic reaction, and sniffling. She gave them a ton of expensive antibiotics etc, but there were no ear mites, and no tests).

So anyway, she showed it to the other vet, and neither of them had seen anything like it before. She said it didn't look like any parasite she'd ever seen. She said it was probably a blackhead.

This Friday, we have to bring in the other cat for his rabies shot and flea shot, and she said we could bring in a feces sample. The other type of test they can do is a blood test but it's about $500. We'll probably do the blood test in three months, just because our other cat has a heart murmur, so they want to check for thyroid and kidney problems. But she didn't think it was urgent now.

She said the only thing that looks remotely like that is a tapeworm, but its definitely not tapeworms, and she said they're usually around the butt.

To me, it does look a bit like some type of parasite. It looks like there's black lines running through it like a shrimp. It also looked like it was open on one end and closed on the other. But the vet insisted it wasn't "cat shrimp."