Got Junk?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have a junk drawer as that much unorganized stuff would make me queasy, but I do have a countertop container, roughly 5 x5 that holds all the bits and pieces that I don’t feel like dealing with at the moment. A few things, like tweezers for picking gunk out of the dishwasher holes, stay in there, but most of the other stuff finds it’s way back to its place periodically. Wondering 1) Do you have a junk drawer or spot 2) what’s stashed there? and 3) How often do you clean it out?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I feel like my whole house is a junk drawer right now, but I'm working on it. :cringe: The cellar, garage and above the garage are particularly bad. So are some of the closets. I have piles of some of my mother's things in numerous places.

I have an odds and ends drawer in most rooms. I do go through them periodically. The kitchen drawer has pens, scissors, butane lighter, small hammer and plastic lids for canned cat food. The dining room one has some screw drivers and pliers. My husband used to use them for his beer keg that used to be in there. The living room one has lint rollers, pens, post it notes, dental floss, cat brushes. The one here in the room with my computer has kleenex, a wall calendar, tape, battery chargers, a ruler, dental floss, cloths to wipe my eye glasses and an envelope of random keys. The one in the bedroom has a flashlight, hand lotion, chapstick, dental floss.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep I have a junk drawer it started out as a drawer for warranties and instruction books but now it has all sorts in from extra washing machine pipes to odd screws and wires and chargers, batteries, pen's, old locks and keys. It gets cleaned out when I'm looking for something I know I've put there but can't find. :lol:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep I have a junk drawer it started out as a drawer for warranties and instruction books but now it has all sorts in from extra washing machine pipes to odd screws and wires and chargers, batteries, pen's, old locks and keys. It gets cleaned out when I'm looking for something I know I've put there but can't find. :lol:
Do you know what all the keys are for? I have a couple from my grandad that look kind of Victorian! I save all these keys in the stupid hope they open SOMEthing.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Finding as I get older, the more I liberate, the freer and cleaner my mind becomes. Somewhere in the book “Cannery Row,” it talks about a guy whose mind was like a tacklebox, full of knotted lines and rusty lures. I aim towards the opposite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what all,the keys are for? I have a couple from my grandad that look kind of Victorian! I save all these keys in the stupid hope they open SOMEthing.
Yes, there is just something scary about throwing away keys. I have a little box full of them including the skeleton keys to my old house. I know I will never need them but can’t throw them. I do have old door knobs from when I have changed them but can’t throw those either.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few different junk drawers or junk areas. One bedroom in my house was basically a junk room until I finally cleaned it out and organized stuff. The junk drawers in my kitchen is just random stuff like tape, batteries, painkillers, screws and nails, sponges, and a bungee cord I believe. I have a basket in a closet that is random stuff like cords, phone stuff, filters for my humidifier, bags, socks.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one main junk drawer in the kitchen, and always have. It has odds and ends that I don't want to throw away, but don't know where else to put them, like spare batteries, hose washers, mouse traps (don't need those anymore; Mingo does a fine job of mice catching), double-sided tape, and so on.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I have, because I throw or give out immediately what I think is useless for me anymore. The only things I would want to lie around forever are the photos. I am exactly the opposite of my brother who loves to keep things hanging around. He has a full room with only useless stuff, it gives me the migraines. LOL.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like my whole house is a junk drawer right now, but I'm working on it. :cringe:
Same here LOL!
I have a couple "junk drawers" in the kitchen...but they are relatively organized. My kitchen table is the catch all of crap that hasn't made it's way where it supposed to go. I have several boxes from when I moved (10 years ago) that have become junk boxes that just sit in my crawl space. The spare room has a "junk shelving unit"...and there are a few other places around the house. I have to go thru all my stuff and really purge what I don't need. I've been slowly plugging away at it...I'm working my way up to having a yard sale.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have two junk drawers, one in the China cabinet and the other in the hutch. They're not mine and Rick is working on creating a third drawer in the black stand in the kitchen. I hate them and keep threatening to clean them out.

We have a junk basement and that is pretty much mine. Like Jem Jem I need to do a yard sale.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The junk drawers are getting so full I really should go through them but I always find a little more room to stuff something in them. :biggrin: I have good intentions of going through them but it's more like, "out of sight, out of mind." 😉 I also have what I call junk baskets, i.e. baskets that I use to collect different items. I have at least one junk basket in every room of the house. :rolleyes3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lots of places to store things but getting them there from wherever they are sitting, like a screwdriver sitting on the bathroom counter for weeks, is the challenge. A few weeks ago I had a “put away” day, no cleaning or dusting, just moving things back to their rightful place. It was surprise how many there were and how long it took.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have one drawer but I generally know what’s in it. Its stuff like command strips, hair ties, a tape measure, etc. We stopped keeping batteries in there because DS was helping himself too much.

I don’t worry about cleaning it out too often. It gets done whenever.